WiFi Calling for Samsung S9 Not purchased through Fido

I'm a Participant Level 2 xbahamut
I'm a Participant Level 2

WiFi Calling for Samsung S9 Not purchased through Fido

I got my S9 from Samsung directly and it seems Fido does not enable WiFi calling for devices not purchased through Fido directly. Is there a way to enable the feature that the carrier locks specifically to the their own devices? Seems unreasonable that you can't use all your phone features because you didn't buy it from the carrier themselves.

Accepted Solution

Re: WiFi Calling for Samsung S9 Not purchased through Fido

Hey @xbahamut

Your compatible device must have been purchased from Fido. If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Solution

Hey @xbahamut

Your compatible device must have been purchased from Fido. If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Is there a way to get wifi calling to work? Seems shady that fido doesn't allow built in device features to work because fido didn't make any money on the device..

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Contributor Level 3 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 3

xbahamut......of course there is a way if you can read between the line!!!      fido/rogers are the only provider who block these feature when you buying your phone elsewhere....even if its a purely CANADIANS phone!!

they punishing their own costumer....they gonna told you that their phone are tested to their network and not your....dont accept that..its pure lie   any Canadians phone are compatible to their network if supported!! since they support around all the majority of new phone like your s9 it would work with any other provider except fido/rogers because they simply blocking your own phone....

hope it helped to resolve your problem...i lived this situation last years and resolved it in a wink of the eye!!

im a happy consumer now where i am.....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the feedback, would be nice if there was a solution to this. I don't get any reception at home so i get all my missed calls and texts in the morning when I leave. Sucks when you can't use the services you pay for but consumers on all other carriers are able to. Seems like a stranglehold for no reason.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5