cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S22, Wifi Calling, VoLTE?

Mike901
I'm a participant level 3

Some documention going around seems to suggest non-Fido bought devices WILL NOT support wifi calling and VoLTE, even if those devices technically can, while other documentation says those features MIGHT NOT work.

So which is it?

2 REPLIES 2

Mike901

You're a machine, brother.  Not sure how you answer all these posts with such precision as if you're a bot, but you do good work.  I purchsed the U.S. variant of the S22 with all the bands supported by Candian carriers.  I suppose if the device ultimately doesn't support VoLTE or wifi calling, no big deal.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mike901,

Generally, devices not purchased nor available from Fido won't likely be supported for certain functions, like voLTE and Wifi-calling. That's why your previous inquiry regarding an Asus device deemed that device not supported for those features. However, Fido has allowed certain grey-market (ie Canadian version of devices carried by Fido but purchased elsewhere) to use the service. Those included Samsung Galaxy S8 and above (see here).

I would expect the Galaxy S22 to have similar support. Samsung makes their devices with slight variations depending on the region they are intended on being used. Some of those differences might include differing bands/frequencies and/or different chipsets, etc. To differentiate the different versions, or variants, Samsung adds a specific letter to the end of the model version to designate the region. For example, the Canadian variant is SM-S901W while the US variant is SM-S901U or SM-901U1(see here).

I believe those features should be supported on the Canadian variant (SM-S901W) even if purchased from elsewhere. On the other hand, it is unlikely those features would be supported on a non-Canadian variant.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers