Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card clone

MurielDE
I'm a participant level 1

Hello!

I recently got a new cell phone, but I do not want to let go of the old one.... yet.

Is it possible to order a second SIM card with the same phone number? I could not find the answer on the fido.ca website.  

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Wladyka68

So if I understand correctly, my SIM or my phone cannot be cloned or have two of the same numbers active on your network? Your agent Abish said that two of my numbers (same phone numbers) could be active, you wouldn't know, and I'm screwed (basically...) Sorry for the foul word.

Hello Wladyka68,

Welcome to the community!

May I ask why you are concerned someone might have cloned your SIM? I'm not sure what was discussed with the person with whom you spoke. Had you contacted customer service? Unfortunately, it appears as the information provided might not be correct. While it may be possible to clone a SIM card, it would be rather unlikely. That said, even if your SIM card had been cloned, both of them would not be able to be active at the same time.

Newer SIM cards (post 2001) have anti-cloning and anti-tampering features to prevent a copied SIM card from working (see here). Even if someone wanted to clone your SIM card, they would likely need access to your card in order to copy it. That said, there apparently might be sophisticated software to break the encryption wirelessly. However, it would be rather unlikely regular customers would be targetted with such attacks. Even so, as previously mentioned, a phone number can only be associated to one SIM card at a time (see here). If you are able to use your phone number for calls and messages yourself, there would not be another SIM card with your same phone number in use elsewhere.

I am not sure of why you are concerned your SIM card may have been cloned. If there is activity on your line which you do not recognise, it is far more likely that your device may have some sort of virus or malware installed. What device do you have? Have you installed any new appss recently? Does your device have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MurielDE,

Welcome to the community!

You can definitely order a new SIM, however, it wouldn't be possible to clone your old SIM. Not to worry though, once you update your SIM card via My Account --> Usage & Services --> Mobile --> Quick Actions (near bottom of page) --> Update SIM card,  your account and phone number will transfer to your new SIM.

You should note that your old SIM would be deactivated. It's not possible to have two SIMs active with the same phone number.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers