cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel XL Wi-Fi calling?

Superjoe75
I'm a participant level 2

I bought a brand new Google Pixel XL 2 weeks ago and so far I have been unable to enable the Wi-Fi calling on it. I had it on my iPhone 6 and it worked amazingly well. The phone is running on Android 7.1 and the option seems to be missing. Anything special I should do or is it that Fido needs to push an update?

Thanks!

** Edited to add labels **

21 REPLIES 21

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Superjoe75!

Welcome to the Community! Very_Happy 

The Google Pixel XL is not compatible with WiFi-Calling. Check out this link here for all the details on Wi-Fi Calling. 

Hope that helps! 

Superjoe75

Hey Megan,

Well it isn't yet but I was told that it would be in the near future. The iPhone 7 is also missing. Any ETA on a carrier update that will enable this?

I know that the phone itself is capable of it, but needs some work from the carrier. Verizon has it enabled in the USA.

Thanks alot!

No news on that yet! As soon as we do, it'll be updated on the this thread! Keep an eye out. Smiley 

BasementOffice

I can't call or send text message when in am in the office in the basement of a building. When will wifi calling be available for Google Pixel?
When I called fido today. The person said the wifi calling service has been discontinued since last year. Is it true? I will have to switch providers if this is true.

Hey @BasementOffice and welcome to the Community.

We don't have that service for that phone for the moment.

I didn't get news about this yet.

wren
I'm a participant level 3
I have 7.1.2 May update on my Pixel and still don't see WiFi calling option. What's going on?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @wren! Thanks for posting Smiley

Wi-Fi calling is offered on certain Fido Android phones purchased from Fido. Right now, here are the phones it's offered on:

• LG G4 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
• LG G5 (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
• LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
• Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
• Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)

It's not offered on the Google Pixel, but keep an eye out on Fido.ca for any updates! Smiley

- FidoNick

wren
The phone's hardware supports it, the version of Android supports it. Why doesn't Fido support it?

The Pixel has been out for seven months. What is Fido waiting for?

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We hear you @wren.

As soon as there's any update on this, we will let the Community know here! 

fxfarr

Hi Pierre,

Wren is right!

I know you are hearing, but really what is going on that Fido does not care to activate it on Pixel phones after such a long time these devices have been out?

I am getting more frustrated with Fido every single day.

Thanks,

Fxfarr

Hey @fxfarr

I assure you that we definitely care and always working to get the best options for our customers. We'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop as soon as we have more updates on this! 

fxfarr

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your prompt response.  The first request, only on this thread, is SEVEN months old. Yet, it is not addressed.

I wish your technical support was as fast as you. Any way to convince them to switch it on? Literally, it should not be that hard. Other acrriers have activated that, and Fido is behind.

I am a log time customer of Fido, and such a trend of laziness to address customer's issues is very concerning.

Thank you,

fxfarr

Hey @fxfarr

I'm sorry to see you fell this way! As much as I want to share more information about this with you, we cannot comment or speculate on any products or launches that haven't been officially announced. 

JaxTLR
Any news on this, i'm also waiting for this feature to work since my phone have no network at home, wifi calling is my only solution.

No news of any updates at this time, JaxTLR.

If Wifi Calling becomes available for the Google Pixel XL in the future, you'll know when we know!

JaxTLR

A customer service live chat agent confirmed me that it would work on the Pixel, is it different than the Pixel XL or the agent was wrong? 

@JaxTLR, it's not offered on the Pixel either.

Sorry about the misinformation Sad

ZGC

Please fix this. I work from home, have a terrible signal and rely on Wifi calling. I just "upgraded" to the Pixel2 which I know for a FACT supports Wifi calling. The hold up is on your end Fido. Please fix it, toggle the friggin' switch or I will need to move providers with my new factory unlocked phone. 

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @ZGC 

As much as we would love to enable this device for Wi-Fi calling, it is not currently compatible. You can view the current compatible devices here

ZGC

There is zero reason why it is not compatable except for Fido's lack of initiative. The phone is more than capible. Super unempressed and dissapointed. Now I have to precious spend time looking for another provider as the coverage in my house is inadiquite and wifi calling was the only solution.