extended coverage blocked

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

extended coverage blocked

I live in an area that does not have Fido coverage. There is, however, extended coverage available here. With my former prepaid plan the extended coverage was not accessable. I was sold a monthly plan of Talk and Text (no data) with the promise that I could access Fido through the extended coverage network and I must say that for several months it has worked well with hardly a glitch. 

Now Fido has blocked my access to the extended coverage network. The reason given to me is that my usage of the network was more than "moderate". I use my phone on the regular Fido network when I travel into range but have no reception whatsoever where I live. I cannot find any definition of "moderate" on the Fido website. There is no counter in "My Fido" to indicate what proportion of my usage has been on the extended network. 

When I purchased this plan, it was on the basis of being able to use the extended network. This seems very unfair to me. I feel cheated.

Accepted Solution

Re: extended coverage blocked

Hey Ron2!

Welcome to the Community!

Our Extended Coverage network is at no cost to you. However, Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. You can also get more info on Fido extended coverage here.
You can still use your service on our network. 

In your case, since you are living in a zone with Fido coverage, it means that most of your usage is done outside our network. That's why it's been blocked. 

Let me know if you have any question!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey Ron2!

Welcome to the Community!

Our Extended Coverage network is at no cost to you. However, Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. You can also get more info on Fido extended coverage here.
You can still use your service on our network. 

In your case, since you are living in a zone with Fido coverage, it means that most of your usage is done outside our network. That's why it's been blocked. 

Let me know if you have any question!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted

How do I know when I've reached 50% of my extended coverage usage? How do YOU know when I've reached 50% of my extended coverage usage? Why didn't anyone from Fido inform me that I was approaching 50% of my extended coverage usage before cutting me off? Why did you sell me a plan without telling me that you would cut me off without warning?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted

If someone lives in an area that does not have Fido regular coverage and only the extended coverage that means Fido can not have that person as a customer because they will eventually be blocked from the extended coverage?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 17
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Ron2 That's not something you can actually track. It's monitored by our systems. 

The Extended Coverage is meant to provide you with additional coverage in areas you sometimes travel to. It is meant to be used occasionally and the majority of your monthly usage (talk, text and data) must occur on the Rogers / Fido network.

In your case, since you live in an area outside our footprint, it means you're always on the Ext-Fido. Which is why the service has been blocked. 

Sales representatives were advised to review the Extended Coverage policy and we are sorry that this didn't happen. I'll send you a PM to look into that with you. 

@KAPABLE-K That's kind of right! We have a few customers that live in an out of coverage area (Ext-Fido only) but they are always on the road (covered by our network). When they get home they are on the Ext-Fido but this doesn't get them blocked since most of their usage is done while on the road. That's one example.

Let me know if you have any other question!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted

@FidoManuel once you get blocked does it stay block or can you get unblocked? If that is possible what needs to be done to get unblocked?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @KAPABLE-K ,

The restriction will be in place for 30 days, it could be blocked permanently if the usage remains high though! 

If you exceed your 50 % Extended Coverage usage limit for four months in a row you'll no longer have access to the EC. We've established these guidelines with other carriers . We also notify you one month in advance that a block may occur. 

Don't hesitate if you have more questions. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted

@FidoRanya Thanks for the info.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Anytime!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted

Fido will inform you 2 days in advance of cutting you off.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 17