cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extended coverage blocked

Ron2
I'm a participant level 3

I live in an area that does not have Fido coverage. There is, however, extended coverage available here. With my former prepaid plan the extended coverage was not accessable. I was sold a monthly plan of Talk and Text (no data) with the promise that I could access Fido through the extended coverage network and I must say that for several months it has worked well with hardly a glitch. 

Now Fido has blocked my access to the extended coverage network. The reason given to me is that my usage of the network was more than "moderate". I use my phone on the regular Fido network when I travel into range but have no reception whatsoever where I live. I cannot find any definition of "moderate" on the Fido website. There is no counter in "My Fido" to indicate what proportion of my usage has been on the extended network. 

When I purchased this plan, it was on the basis of being able to use the extended network. This seems very unfair to me. I feel cheated.

21 REPLIES 21

I am having the exact same issue. I purchased a contract 2 years ago and was not advised that I would be using an extended coverage Network. Complicate matters even further, phones seem to work without a hitch up until just a week ago. Suddenly I'm now on an extended Network and have used up too much of it, so now I'm blocked for 30 days without a phone. This is really unfair, I am definitely seeking another provider immediately

Hello Post,

I replied to your other post here.

@Post wrote:...was not advised that I would be using an extended coverage Network....

There are many factors which determine a phone's cellular reception. No one would be able to determine to which network your phone connects at any given location and situation. The mobile providers can only provide approximations of their coverage areas. Even knowing the locations of the cellular towers would have limitations with regards to whether a particular device receives cellular signal at a particular location. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

I understand that you were able to connect to the Fido/Rogers networks previously. Had you moved since then? Did you change phones during that time? Have there been any buildings erected between your location and the cellular towers? As mentioned, there are many factors which can affect cellular reception. If you were able to previously connect with adequate signal, any change might have made the signal insufficient.

Alternatively, it's also possible that the cellular signal from other cellular towers is simply stronger at your location. If your device is set to automatically choose the network, it might connect to the stronger signal rather than Fido/Rogers signal. If this notion is correct, you might consider manually selecting the Fido/Rogers networks.

Additionally, it's possible that Fido/Rogers have changed the bands/frequencies used at your local cellular towers. They have already decommissioned some frequencies of the 2G and '3G' networks. The remaining 2G frequency should follow in the near future.

As mentioned in my other post, if you live in an area of extended coverage, the Fido/Rogers network is not the right network for your situation.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hey Ron2!

Welcome to the Community!

Our Extended Coverage network is at no cost to you. However, Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. You can also get more info on Fido extended coverage here.
You can still use your service on our network. 

In your case, since you are living in a zone with Fido coverage, it means that most of your usage is done outside our network. That's why it's been blocked. 

Let me know if you have any question!

Ron2

How do I know when I've reached 50% of my extended coverage usage? How do YOU know when I've reached 50% of my extended coverage usage? Why didn't anyone from Fido inform me that I was approaching 50% of my extended coverage usage before cutting me off? Why did you sell me a plan without telling me that you would cut me off without warning?

If someone lives in an area that does not have Fido regular coverage and only the extended coverage that means Fido can not have that person as a customer because they will eventually be blocked from the extended coverage?

@Ron2 That's not something you can actually track. It's monitored by our systems. 

The Extended Coverage is meant to provide you with additional coverage in areas you sometimes travel to. It is meant to be used occasionally and the majority of your monthly usage (talk, text and data) must occur on the Rogers / Fido network.

In your case, since you live in an area outside our footprint, it means you're always on the Ext-Fido. Which is why the service has been blocked. 

Sales representatives were advised to review the Extended Coverage policy and we are sorry that this didn't happen. I'll send you a PM to look into that with you. 

@KAPABLE-K That's kind of right! We have a few customers that live in an out of coverage area (Ext-Fido only) but they are always on the road (covered by our network). When they get home they are on the Ext-Fido but this doesn't get them blocked since most of their usage is done while on the road. That's one example.

Let me know if you have any other question!

@FidoManuel once you get blocked does it stay block or can you get unblocked? If that is possible what needs to be done to get unblocked?

Hey @KAPABLE-K ,

The restriction will be in place for 30 days, it could be blocked permanently if the usage remains high though! 

If you exceed your 50 % Extended Coverage usage limit for four months in a row you'll no longer have access to the EC. We've established these guidelines with other carriers . We also notify you one month in advance that a block may occur. 

Don't hesitate if you have more questions. 

Ron2

Fido will inform you 2 days in advance of cutting you off.

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We'll let you know one month in advance and we'll also send you a notification 24 hours prior as well.

Did you not get the one month notice ? @Ron2

I got the notice, but what are you supposed to do if you live in an extended coverage area?

Hello Post,

Unfortunately, if you live in an extended coverage area, you would need to consider switching to the provider with coverage in the area. It's a common misunderstanding that any mobile provider will suit everyone everywhere. That simply isn't the case. If you spend a good portion of time outside of a mobile provider's coverage, that mobile provider isn't the right one for you.

Each provider would have their cellular towers strategically placed. While there may be some overlaped coverage, some providers' cellular towers are better suited to some customers than others. Extended coverage is the result of the roaming agreements between some of the mobile providers to allow temporary access to fill gaps in coverage. I understand it's frustrating knowing that your extended coverage use might get restricted or limited if you exceed 50% usage. However, I don't think it's Fido who wants to limit your use of the service. It's likely the network you're on which you are roaming. If you're spending the majority of your usage on their network, they would rather you pay them monthly fees rather than to their competitors.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ron2

2 days

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You should also get a notice one month prior  @Ron2

. This is strange, I'll send you a PM shortly to look into it.

Ron2

Please don't bother. My account is now canceled (after 20 years with Fido).

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Alrighty Sad We're sad to hear that. 

We're here if you have other questions.

"Alrighty" doesnt sound sorry. 

ricardomine
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

my service was canceled, which are my options? I will be three more months in the extended coverage area.

I will be still paying the monthly fees?? Do I have to cancel?

tnks

JR

Hey @ricardomine!

We definitely wouldn't want to lose you as a customer. However if you are going to be 3 months away from the Fido network it would work out to more than 50% of your usage being done on the Extended Network.

I'll send you a PM and we can check it out together! Smiley