cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling Samsung s10e

I'm a participant level 2

Hi, I purchased an unlocked phone directly from Samsung and Fido us stating the device is not eligible. I called support and was told that because the phone wasn't purchased directly from Fido, than the wifi calling will not work. 

This seems ridiculous and would like a solution. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello 456645,

Welcome to the community!

I understand your situation. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a solution to your issue if your phone was not purchased from Fido. While Fido has opened up the use of voLTE with so-called grey market devices, they still do not support the use of Wifi-calling with non-Fido devices (see here). 

Not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi, thanks for the response.

But why was the wifi calling possible on my previous Samsung Galaxy S8 which was not purchased from Fido?

Hey @456645

As Cawtau mentioned, we do not support wifi calling on devices that were not purchased from Fido. It is possible the service will work, but, if it doesn't, we're not able to troubleshoot it.

csewell

It seems FIDO/Rogers have now come to their senses.  I just enabled WiFi calling on an unlocked P30 Pro that was not purchased from FIDO. It should work on a Samsung device.

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @csewellFido has been allowing non Fido phone from the Galaxy S8 and newer to use the WiFi and VoLTE features for a while now.

AnonymousUser
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

I tried with an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 from another carrier and Fido's WiFi-Calling would NOT work.

Hello AnonymousUser,

Do you have the Canadian version of those phones? Apparently, as of May 2019, Fido has started to support those services on certain grey market devices, Galaxy S8 and newer (see here). This community member was able to get those services on their grey market Galaxy S9 (see here).

If your devices are not the Canadian version of the phones, it possible that they still won't be supported. That said, this community member was able to get their non-Canadian version of the Note 8 to work, though I can't recommend flashing ROMs.

You might need to contact customer service so they can access your account to verify it is set up for those services. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they have verified some information, they can also access your account.

Hope this helps

Cheers