cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Fido added bill amount after suspending my account?

Hanapshf79
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I first came to Canada two years ago and joined Fido when I arrived, but after two weeks I had to leave Canada and return to my country. I could not even wait for my bank card to receive it and I did not have access to Fido's account in my country. I even had the Fido app down. I only used the Fido SIM card for two weeks and thought I would be back in Canada in a few months, but it took me two years to return due to COVID-19 and pandemic. I had a $55 plan for 4G per month of Fido, which was paid with taxes and late fees, and I had to pay a total of $ 68 in max, and legally my account had to be suspended after two months and it should not be an amount other than the previous debt in my profile so after two months and 23 days, they sent me an email saying that your account was suspended and you owe $242 (although they charged me $71 a month, I owed $ 213) but after 11 days, they emailed me a new amount of debt again, it was  $ 313 and they continued to do so for another 7 months (a total of ten months from the first month I joined Fido) !!!! Is this legal? Now I have to pay a huge amount that has badly credited my account. I have logical reasons and documents that I did not even have access to my bank account and I activated it two years later. Fido has to repay this amount of my debt. I can not pay the extra 7 months and also the extra amounts that have been added to my account. 
Please give me a good guidance! What should I do?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hanapshf79,

Happy New Year and Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've accumulated a large amount on your account. I understand you had only used the services for two weeks and hadn't intended on being away for so long. However, it is unfortunate you did not understand the details of your plan. From what you mentioned, you have a post-paid plan. With such plan types, you are required to pay the monthly plan fee (plus additional fees, if any) even if you don't use the services. I understand that might seem unfair if you didn't use services, but that's the nature of post-paid plans. Fido does offer a temporary suspension for a reduced fee in eligible situations, though customers would need to request such suspension prior period of non-use.

I also understand that you were informed that your account was suspended. It is also unfortunate you misunderstood what that meant. When an account is suspended for non-payment, you don't have access to services. However, recurring service charges continue to apply:

suspend.jpg

~taken from Terms of Service; section 2i)

I understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider arranging a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations team. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement might not be available in all situations.

If you would like to discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers