Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of fraud!!

dijo_65
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I have been a recent victim of fraud where someone was able to access my account and approve themselves as an authorized user. They then proceeded to upgrade my phone and take it for themselves, as well as sign me on to a contract (from being a month to month user). All of this was unauthorzed by me. I have a case opened and fraud department was supposed to call me back in 48 hours. It has been a week now, and eveytime I call customer service they are just promising me that I will hear from fraud department by the end of the day.

I am getting very impatient and worried that someone out there has my personal information and access t my account. I also now have a plan and contract that I definitely cannot afford to pay for. Please help me. I need fraud department to look into this ASAP. 

This is crazy that someone was able to impersonate me either via chat/phone and be validated by FIDO customer service. 

I am tired of waiting!!

39 REPLIES 39

Hey @VictimNoMore,

Welcome to the community!

I'm truly sorry to read about your current situation. 

We take these cases very seriously and would like to get this resolved as quickly as possible for you. 

Have you tried to reach out to our customer care service to escalate the existing case?

If not, you can reach them directly here

halffedelf
I'm a participant level 1

I just had the same experience! I noticed in the morning that two lines were added to my account with two new iphones. They changed my email address and billing address.I can't believe this is 2020 and FIDO still doesn't have 2-step verification? I noticed fido doesn't even ask anything else if you need to change your email address!! That's just ridiculuous!

I called customer service and I was promised that the fraud dept would call me. Looking at the messages here, I doubt if I will get that call!

Hey @halffedelf

Sorry to hear about your recent experience. I can assure you that we do take your account's security to heart. You can review the security options we offer with our representatives, such as adding a PIN, Voice ID, etc.

You can also reach out to our fraud department directly at 1-800-644-7174 to follow up on your situation. An advisor will review your file as quickly as possible Can you get in touch with them and let us know how it goes?

Hope this helps.

amirvf

I just filled out the form. I also tried to reply to you. But I think there is a problem in your website here as well.

I received the following error message while tryin to reply to you:

You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later.

And that was my 1st private message ever!!!!!

Anyways, let me know if you need tracking numbers or not. I can share them with you if you could not find it in my profile.

Let me know here if you could find my profile and number in the filled form or not. Because the system does not let me send you Private Messages.

Thanks,

Amir

That's really odd! I've received the information, I'll try to send you another private message, let me know if you're able to reply. 

hellokitty2

Hello, 

I am a victim of fraud. 

My account information changes on a daily basis... especially my contact information.

I have contacted Fido serveral times in regards to this matter. They suggested to add a PIN and a security question. 

I have completed that, along with changing my account password. Funny thing is that whenever I call Fido, all they ask is my name and postal code. Therefore, anyone who knows my basic information can go into my account. 

This person who keeps changing my contact information on my account is no longer on my account, and is NOT  authorized to make any changes to my account, but for some reason, Fido ALLOWS IT. This person uses my billing statements to get a hold of other parties and harrass them, in which the local authorities are well aware of this matter. 

I have filed many complaints about my account security and I feel like Fido thinks it is a joke. 

I am sick and tired of 'your account is secure with us' response from Fido. 

I would be more than happy to change cell phone providers if this matter does not get resolved ASAP.

Hello @hellokitty2 

I moved your more post here since it's about the same topic.

This is definitely not the experience that we want for any of our customers. I would like to take a look at what was done so far on your account concerning this.

I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into. Talk to you soon.

hellokitty2

No, this has not been solved. 

We have sent you a private message here on the community, you can answer there so we can take a look at it with you. Smiley 

If you're not sure how to access your PM, we have an article on the Library to show you how. You can find it right here

Chat soon! 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Dijo_65,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that there was fraudulent access to your account. Have you taken the appropriate measures? At the very least you should change your passwords and cancel your credit card...

If you haven't already done so, you might consider informing the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You should also consider the advice here. It may seem like a hassle, but any preventative measures taken now are definitely better than trying to sort out stolen identities after the fact.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@dijo_65 Did you file a report with your local police also?

FidoKenny

Hey @dijo_65 and thanks for reaching out.

I do understand why you would feel that way. I can assure you that the security of our customer's information is really important to us,

I would like to take a look at your account to see what was done so far.

I'm sending your a PM now to get this looked into. At the same time, I would like to let you know that you can also reach us through other channels for anything related to your Fido account.

You can find our Contact Us page here.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Bistro

Hi,

I have been a recent victim of fraud where someone was able to access my account and approve themselves as an authorized user. They then proceeded to upgrade my phone .

Someone upgrade it and i did not make any..

What do i do now?

Hey @Bistro

You would need to contact us and we'll be able to open the fraud investigation for you.

IceBlueVapour19

It is obviously NOT important to you, or this matter would have been taken care of immediately and this customer should have had her money refunded to her. How on earth did a customer service person from FIDO add another user to this persons account so easily? I am tired of being taken advantage of. it is not about the money. It is being treated with some respect. Not taking action immediately shows how much you care about your customers. I am pretty furious right now. I have a phone number added to my account and $50 of long distance charges to a city I have never been to. I had better receive the help I need and be refunded or I will flip out.

Hey @IcyBlueVapour19 , 

Welcome to the Community. 

We take our customer's privacy very seriously and do everyhting we can to limit these situations. If your account gets accessed by someone else, we take all the appropriate measures to rectify the situation. Unfortunately, these situations happen and while we do everything we can on our end to protect your information, we don't have control over someone impersonating a customer.

We do offer voice ID as a service that keeps your Fido account secure by using your unique voiceprint to authenticate you, voice biometrics reduces the risk of fraud compared to other authentication methods, like PINs, passwords and security questions. 

We do treat our customers with respect, and we'll do everything we can to address your concerns immediately. In these cases, an investigation is required with our fraud team and depending on the complexity of the situation, the delays could be a little longer. It could take 24-48 hours to have this resolved in a normal situation. 

I will send you a PM so we can look into this for you, don't worry though, we got you! 

Badawy0118
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Wired enough, after all these years of complaints about this type of frauds, it is still happening. Just today, I have found that it happened to me. I got an SMS from Fido mentioning that they could not send me the pre-owned iPhone 11 I ordered ( which I did not) and instead they are going to send me a brand new one ( lucky me !!). So I called the customer service to find out that my contact info has been changed and someone hacked into my account and ordered the phone. I asked the customer service to cancel the order, she told me that it has been done few days ago. I told her that appearently the phone is not shipped yet, because I just got your SMS 10 minutes ago. All she can do is to file a case, correct my contact info ( later on I found that she misspelled my email) and told me that the fraud office will contact me. I am actually astonished by the simplicity of fraud in Fido, someone gets into the account, change the email and order a phone to a totally different address and Fido doesn't feel it is wired enough to just send an SMS to the line owner. What is so hard about sending an SMS verification code to the line owner guys? Specially that this has been ongoing issue in your company for a couple of years now. To sum up, my account has been breached, my information has been hacked, the thief will get a brand new iPhone 11 as a gift from Fido instead of the preowned one he ordered ( this proves that no bad deed goes unpunished), and I will be waiting for the next couple of days for the call from the fraud section, and the thief will look for another victim in the appearently insecure network. 

Hello @Badawy0118,

We send SMS verification codes for certain transactions and have other mesures in place to avoid our customers having to go through this. 

Rest assured, we don't take fraud lightly and your case should be treated shortly if it isn't already.

yousef3

This happened to me today. Similar to the above-mentioned cases. Somebody got my account info (I don't know how because I am very curious about my pass and ID). The thief got my email ID info and ordered iPhone 11. Then, they bombard my email address with thousands of subscription emails. I was suspicious that something is going to happen, so I have tracked all the emails. One of them was from Fido on ordering a new device. Immediately, I informed FIdo customer service and changed my password, and canceled my credit card. The funny thing is the device was shipped several hours after my call. This shows that this problem does not matter to Fido. This is why this story is happening over and over. The problem is not just the Fraid device, my information such as my email address is exposed, and now I am facing thousand of subscription emails. Fido should do something about this, personally, I do not feel safe with this account and will close and switch to another provider soon.