cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update credit card ( Prepaid )

Tekovince
I'm a participant level 3

Hi there... I had to get a new Credit Card number a few months ago, and Fido charges me yearly for my phone plan. The charge was supposed to go through last night but it didn't since my old credit card is no longer valid.

So I go to the Manage Credit Card page in my account, enter all of the info for my new credit card, and click Continue.

At this point all I get is a message at the top of the page. 
Oops!
That doesn’t seem to be working.!

Tried different browsers.

Oops!

Tried re-typing in my billing address
Oops!

Re-verified my card number and cvv code at least 10 times
Oops!

Purchased something on eBay with the same credit card
Success!
Tried card on Fido.ca again
Oops!

What isn't working? Is it blocked because the transaction didn't finish processing? Is the website down for maintenance? Is the credit card validation system down? Are the Fido heardquarters being attacked by a giant Stay Puft marshmallow man? Can we get more descriptive error messages?!

75 REPLIES 75

Qiwen
I'm a participant level 1

Good afternoon Nick,

Yes, the name on my card and billing address is exactly the same as my profile information. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Qiwen!

If both are identical, then it should definitely work!

What type of error message do you get when trying to register the card? Also, does the same thing happen if you try to do it by calling 611?

MCB_52
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Hi Fido Community,

I originally posted the inquiry several months ago and wish to provide an update.

In the end, it turns out there was a small difference on my new MasterCard, that likely caused the issue. Despite me assuming nothing had changed, upon a closer look, my middle name initial had been removed from the newest card. Fido, when they finally were available during business hours the next day, assisted me over the phone (though the Rep took far longer than needed to take care of such a simple in-account update).

As per others who've taken the time to respond, you likely concluded, as I had, that you are really out of luck should any of these issues occur outside of Fido's business hours... Getting inconclusive error messages in the online account is something that can easily be remedied.

Hope no one else ends up in a similar situation!

Thanks for the update, @MCB_52

Just so you know, you can also reach out on social media for help directly related to your account. Feel free to check out all our contact methods HERE.

FidoFaiza

Hi @Tekovince!

Sorry to hear this happened Sad

I'm sending you a PM to look closely into it.

Thanks. 

And oh, welcome to our Community!

Tekovince

UPDATE!

I never recieved that PM, so I contacted Fido through facebook instead. I was then given the number for the prepaid department (1-888-482-3436). From there I tried to spam 0 to get to a representative but that wasn't working, so I went through the various menus and ended up on the update credit card menu. The phone script was able to update my card with no issues.

So if the site isn't working, try by phone!

I'm not entirely sure why the website one wasn't working, but if you want to pass info back to the developers so they can look into it, I have a feeling it might have had something to do with how the website retrieves addresses displayed on the credit card page (which it then uses to verify the card)

I noticed that when I select my address under the update address screen it looks fine, but when I go to the update credit card screen, it looks different. My province QC is changed to PQ, the name of my street is french but the site organises the words in an english order (example, not my real adddress, "Rue frontenac" becomes "Frontenac Rue" as in "Frontenac Street" but the word street stays french) and the address number has a dash in front of it.

Just a guess!

Hey @Tekovince

That's really odd, I'm not sure what happened with that PM, so sorry about that! 

In the spirit of sharing the full details, you can use our IVR system over the phone to update the credit card information by pressing options 3 - 4 and then 2. 

Thank you for taking the time and sharing these updates with us in regards to the website, I'll make sure it gets forwarded to the right people!  

Can you also let us know if you were already refunded the amounts that were charged at $1 per attempt for this? It should have been an automatic refund that you could check in your pending transactions. 

jcoles
I'm a contributor level 1

I had the same problem today (May21) with the website repeatedly failing to perform a simple credit card info update. Can't update the card. Can't remove it either.

Doesn't look like anything got fixed. Lame! Lame! Lame! 

Fortunately, I was able to refill my account with the Interac option.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @jcoles!

That doesn't seem right, Fido.ca should be up and running for performing account changes such as updating and removing credits cards from your account.

To confirm, are you a postpaid subscriber or a prepaid one? If you have a prepaid account, it's important to note that the card name and billing address must be identical to the information we have on our end, or it won't be possible to register the card. 

If that's not the case, have you tried to clear your browser's cache and trying again?

Let us know! 

princepinot

It is 2020 and it still does not work.

I was just updating card expiry date and it is not working.

jaspery

yeah, been having the same issues for years now.

funny how the mod. asks what the issue is each time.

good thing is that the phone update works.

Hey @princepinot,

What's the error message you're getting? Did you trying clearing the cache and cookies or a different browser?

jcoles

The problem might be that my name is slightly different (includes "Mr." and middle initial) on the credit card. I have not been able to find a way to change my name in the profile.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @jcoles!

We can look into it, we'll be sending a PM your way to confirm the information together :).

20Ck5742

This is a somewhat understandable business practice to deter identity theft or credit card fraud ;but also kind of redundant and in a way blocks more legitimate users making honest transactions than it does deter a criminal.

The mandatory name and address must match policy on prepaid accounts is stupid and kind of defeats the anonimity we own prepaid phones for, prepaid gift card type Mastercard,Visa and AM have no name or address neccesarily attached to it. My phone names are ridiculous like Iowe Fidomoney, Bat Man, Satan Clause, firstname  lastname and usually anything I think will look hilarious on call displays. Any stolen credit card or frauded credit card transactions are recorded and attached to a trackable phone that's used by someone to call people they know and usually access all their social media accounts, take selfies and do other easy case building stupid moves that expose themselves and their location openly without any real investigating power needed.

There's never an instance where the fraudulent activity couldn't be tracked right to the person doing it very easily, plus there's many back doors for people making fraudulent transactions if they're really determined to do it.

I  think in all fairness to the end user and the anonimity they're paying premium prices to have we should be given the benefit of the doubt that we intend on doing legitimate transactions.

dpgt
I'm a participant level 2

I am also having this trouble. I just realized the card I'm wanting to use has my middle initial. How do I add that? I also have tried several times to update my billing address but it never works. Not sure if it's because it's a PO Box? Thanks

Hey @dpgt

I'm sorry to read that. Sad

Let me ask you, have you tried to enter the card without the middle initial?

Also, how many times have you changed you address on fido.ca in a year?

Let us know.

dpgt

I hadn't taken note of the Interac option. That was far simpler than all the hassle with trying to add a credit card so now I've done that.

Great! Happy to hear it @dpgt!

dpgt

I still think there should be a simple option to pay with a credit card as that would be my preferred method of payment.

I understand it may not seem ideal and I will make sure to forward your feedback @dpgt.