Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telemarketing call?

kimberlyhou
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

I've been receiving calls daily from the same number 1-844-277-6920. Sometimes 2-3 times a day for a week straight! When I answer, the caller hangs up. When I don't answer they leave voicemail where someone says hello? Then hangs up after. I have seen some posts saying this number is a scam pretending to be "Fido"? Is it Fido? How do I get it to stop?

63 REPLIES 63

jmarci65
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Is Fido planning to include this call control feature to improve their service? Is it expensive? The robo calls even leaves messages I answered all of them but no one on the other line so what is the intention of their calls?

We're working with partners in order to implement a solution to finally stop these unwanted calls. We understand how annoying this can be.

Kayla6
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

So what are they offering me for cellphone plan? 

Hey there @Kayla6, if you are looking for a better deal on your phone plan, you can definitely reach out to customer service they will definitely be happy to help you find the best deal we have for you. If not, we can send you a PM.

asfa
I'm a participant level 2

Fido keeps calling at 844-277-6920, then hangs up without saying anything. 

Hello @asfa

I can definitely understand how that can be annoying. Unless it has been spoofed, I can confirm that this number is safe and indeed from us. 

If you want, we can remove your number from our calling list (Internal Do Not Call List). To do so, we invite you to contact us

You can learn more about spoofing here

Hope this helps and thank you for your feedback on the matter! 

wuwusheng

Got calls from this number 5 times this morning. When I finally picked up it's a voice message saying my service card is suspendid by the government. I hung up and they just kept calling. You guys really should check on this number or call police for fraud investigation.

Hey @wuwusheng

Thanks for letting us know.

It looks like perhaps our number was used for caller ID spoofing. Sad

Please keep us updated if the situation doesn't improve in the next few days!

hausau

I get a call twice then answer the phone without saying anything.

It hangs up on me.

I rather have the other line say things first rather me saying it.

There are too many scam calls out there

Why not just send e-mai?

I use to be a Fido user but they didn't give me what I wanted so I switched...   Why you folks don't give things to loyal customers first before they switched?   

Hi @hausau

It's obviously not the experience we want you to have and we're sorry to read that you left us. 

Some offers are made exclusively on the phone and others are made by email depending on the campaign. We do invite you to say "hi" when call though! Smiley 

Thank you for your feedback, don't hesitate to reach out to us here if you'd like to review your options with us. 

dangny

Hi Fido - same thing for me.  I'm getting these calls daily and once I pick up, the call drops.

Thanks,

D

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @dangny

This doesn't sound right. It shouldn't be happening on the daily! 

To review this, you can contact us through one of our customer service channels here or alternatively we can send you a PM through the Community.  

Joyfulrebellion

I have been getting called by the "winback" team from Fido as well. In the recent weeks as much as twice a day during weekdays.

Unfortunately, I am either working and can't pick up, or I am too slow to (they don't tend to let things ring until it hits voicemail), or when I do pick up, the call terminates.

To be clear: I am more than happy to entertain a winback offer from Fido. But if you want me back, make an effort instead of spam calling me with a frankly useless outsourced service. 

So, this is my last resort to find some meaningful solution here. Already chatted with Fido support asking what special offer this could be, but they said they can't offer me anything besides what is publically viewable on the website. They also really suggested I should try picking up the phone - I have been for 3 weeks (my phone is generally on silent most of the time).

So maybe Fido support is able to extend this special offer to me here? You PM me (not the other way around please).

Hi @Joyfulrebellion

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to get in touch with the team. I'm sending you PM in just a bit to take a closer look at this. 

Talk soon!

CatMama

I’ve been getting the same call every day, but when I pick up the other line hangs up on me 😕 It’s now become incredibly annoying.

Hello @CatMama

That's certainly not the experience we aim for! There's maybe a slight hiccup in the system since this happened multiple times to you. 

To review this, you can contact us through one of our customer service channels here or alternatively we can send you a PM through the Community. Smiley 

4ndr3w

I have been having the same situation.

I finally picked up earlier this morning and a woman picked up and asked me if I was (my name) and then described my phone to me and asked to confirm that that was the phone I was using. She was correct on both accounts. (Note that lots of websites and apps have access to the type of device you're using, as well as your name, and this information is commonly used in phone scams.)

She then asked three survery questions I can not remember and then told me about a "limited time offer" in which I could get Unlimited Talk and Text and 5gb of data for $55 on your "medium" plan. When I declined that, she offer a "small" plan that was the same except only offered 1gb of data for $45. (I do not know if these offerers are legitimate, but if they're not that's at least some clear evidence this is a scam.)

After I told her I would need time to think about it, and would call FIdo back when I'd made a decision, she insisted that this was a "very beneficial offer" for me, (she said this, without exaggeration, about fifteen times throughout the conversation.) and said it was not available in store or online. Only through her, and only through this call. (I should mention the only thing I was getting out of this was the data. I've never gone over my monthly minutes and already haved unlimited text.) She would not take a no for an answer, going so far as to insist that she would call back later in the evening once I'd made a decision. I then told her I was not interested, said goodbye, and hung up the phone. She then called back twice, I ignored the call both times. I do not plan on picking up the phone later in the evening.

I am kicking myself for not letting her get to the point where she asks for my information, as depending on what she asks I could potentially definitely determine whether or not this was a scam. (I am not willing to put up with her enough to let her call back and see what she asks.)

After the call, I immediately Googled the number, bringing up this forum as the first result, but just below that at least three different websites saying they had received calls from the number, about 50/50 split of people insisting the call was from Fido, and the others saying it was a scam. Some of the people claiming it was a scam reported people claiming to be companies other Fido were were trying to scam them using the number.

There are two possibilities here:

1. Someone is trying to scam me. They used information from one or more of a plethora of apps and websites that I have clicked through all the agreements and terms of service and permissions on without reading to contact me and lull me into a sense of security using my phone model and full name, before trying to scam me. Scammers are known to disguise their number as someone else's so they cannot be traced, or in this case, to further the lie that they are Fido. This is common.

2. Fido's telemarketing team is abyssmal. At best we have an overworked underpaid team of staff desperately pining for the comission of a sale. At worst we have staff members following achaic telemarking rules like "you may not hang up unless you've made a sale" under threat of firing.

Ultimately it does not matter to me which it is, as I have now blocked the number. I am angry and concerned for others who may potentially fall victim to what is if not technically a scam, is extremely unethical marketing practices aimed at using manipulative language and the duress of a time restriction to make sales. All the insistence from the Mods on this forum that this number is in fact Fido is either convincing victims to fall prey to the scammers pretending to be Fido using their number, or is acknowledging and absolutely infuriatingly awful teams.

Either way my Fido's reputation has been permanently soured for me and I am frankly embarassed for the company.

DaveC

One of these calls came through last night, and I finally took it even though I was busy, as I didn't recognize the number.

They claimed to be Fido with a deal only available through that call. I stated I was busy and to send it via the website. That was refused...this deal was only through  that call. I asked to be dropped from the call list. I was told that might not be possible.

I don't know what the deal was, and I don't care.  Any Fido deal should be made available to me via my contact method of choice. If Rogers / Fido cannot abide by that, then I will vote with my wallet, as you do not value my business.

Annoying and ignoring the requests of existing customers is a poor method of retaining them. 

Hello @DaveC Smiley 

We would be happy to confirm that offer with you.

You can find the ways to reach us through our contact list here.

We can also send you a PM here if it's best for you. Let us know.

NB6

Hey,

I received a call from 844-277-6920 and was interested in the offer. asked the rep to call back but haven't heard back yet. tried reaching out to customer service but they had no idea about this number or the offer.

is there a way that i can contact the concerned team?

Thanks in advance!