Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes on my bill

Avargasherring
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, i moved from montreal to ottawa and the fido csr told me

that were no extra chatgea for keeping my number with the 514 code area.

Now, I pay 3 three taxes? GHT, QSt, SHT

can someone shed some light? 

8 REPLIES 8

bam_bam02
I'm a participant level 2

I moved to Alberta and got myself a new phone plan with Fido. And I decided to port in my old Ontario number from my prepaid account to the new Alberta monthly plan.

When I received the monthly bill, I realized Fido taxed me based on Ontario HST.

What is the exact regulation on this? It does not make sense to pay the Ontario HST when I am living full time in Alberta, just because I have an Ontario phone number.

There must be an official regulation or guideline on how a phone account should be taxed and should be accessible to the public.

Can a moderator here confirm and provide or point to the exact official guideline set by the federal government? 

Thanks.

Hello Bam_bam02,

Welcome to the community!

@bam_bam02 wrote:

I moved to Alberta and got myself a new phone plan with Fido. And I decided to port in my old Ontario number from my prepaid account to the new Alberta monthly plan....

I understand you got your plan when you moved to Alberta, however, I do not believe the plan would be specific to Alberta. Available phone plans are specific to phone numbers. Since you ported your Ontario number, the plan would have to have been available in Ontario as well. So you likely have an Ontario plan, which is why you're paying Ontario HST. If you wish to get a plan only available to Alberta, you will have to get an Albertan number.

You should also note that your phone number is not considered local to Alberta. It is not possible to make a phone number with an out-of-Province area code, local within another Province. As such, your incoming local calling area would still be somewhere in Ontario (dependent on your area code). If you have Canada-wide calling, it won't likely be an issue for yourself. However, people in Alberta will be making long-distance calls to your phone -- even though you are now living in Alberta.

Something to keep in mind...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

bam_bam02

Thanks Cawtau!

So, I am guessing that just changing my Ontario number to an Albertan number from my Fido online portal will replace the Ontario HST with Alberta GST.

Am I on the right track with the idea?

Hello again,

@bam_bam02 wrote:...So, I am guessing that just changing my Ontario number to an Albertan number from my Fido online portal will replace the Ontario HST with Alberta GST.....

As FidoJulien already mentioned, that would be correct.

One possible complication, however. If your current plan is only available in Ontario, you would have to change your plan to one available in Alberta as well. The online portal might not allow you to change both your number and plan at the same time. To do so, you would likely have to contact customer service or PM a moderator (MOD beside their username). They would be able to change both your number and plan at the same time.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @bam_bam02

You're absolutely on the right track!  If you update your number to a number from Alberta, you'll pay the tax for Alberta on your line.  You can change your phone number directly on your account on fido.ca.  You can find everything you need to know about phone number changes here.

Hope it helps! Smiley

Hey @bam_bam02,

Welcome to the Community! You're at the right place for help Smiley

We've moved your post here since it was the same subject. You will find all the pertinent information here!

You can also check the website of the Canadian Government for more details about the taxation of services in Canada.

I hope that answers your question!

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Avargasherring!

I can definitely understand how that may look confusing. Hopefuly I'll be able to clear that up for you. 

Because your phone number and your billing address, I'm assuming, are now from two different provinces, the taxes that you see on your bill may vary from on province or the other depending on the type of charges. 

The simplest way to explain this would be that any fees billed to your phone number directly (your monthly service fees, any add-ons, etc.) are going to be billed the taxes associated with the province in which your phone number is registered, whereas for any account level charges (invoice copy, service reactivation, etc.), taxes from the province associated with your billing address will apply. 

In terms of how your domestic usage is billed, however, things are a bit different.

To determine which provincial sales tax will apply, two out of the three following factors must come from the same province: 
- Address where the Fido number is registered (area code)
- Call origination
- Call destination

If the "two out of three" rule can’t be applied, provincial sales tax will be applied depending on the location of the service (call destination for the receiver and call origination for the caller). This default rule is applied for Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Ontario, British-Columbia and Manitoba only.
- In provinces where HST applies, HST will be charged.
- Provincial sales tax won’t be applied for the remaining provinces.

Let us know if that clarifies things for you or if you have any other questions! Smiley

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Avargasherring welcome to Ontario and to the community

Your 514 number belongs to QC so as such it as not moved right. Now you may pay taxes on that portion out to Quebec while the service plan part is provided out of here and may have been transferred to Ontario so that would be HST Ontario.  

Fortunately the important thing is you are not being charged taxes twice on same thing. When the csr said you were not going to be charged tax twice that is still valid.SomeQC taxe since your line number currently held in QC and rest services here in Ontario. 

There might be a work around to be tax exclusively in ON if your number is updated as ON for such please reach out with billing for more support.

Warm welcome!:smileyhappy: