Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans for smart watches

Smartwatch
I'm a participant level 2

Hi Fido,

Do you have a plan for stand alone Smartwatches already? Bell has it already!

I am using Fido and want to buy a smartwatch. 

Please let me know when Smartwatch plan might be awailable. 

Thank you in davance.  

34 REPLIES 34

norealityagent

OK, thanks. Good to know. So you can support eSIM as a technology, but don't support non-phone eSIM devices from a market/business perspective. Helpful, thanks for letting me know I needn't be patient any longer and should shop around for a new provider.

Hey @norealityagent, we're sorry that you feel this way!

Our sister company Rogers, does offer support for the Apple Watch. However, we have wonderful perks such as FidoRoam, FidoXtra and DataBytes!

We hope that besides this small detail, you decide to stay with you. We appreciate your loyalty and are here to answer any other questions you might have.

Slamdance
I'm a participant level 1

So I just got  a smart watch but have no idea what to do to get it a SIM card what are the requirements to obtain one and will it cost extra to have both watch and cell phone 

Hello Slamdance,

Welcome to the community!

What smartwatch to you have? If you have an Apple Watch, those devices require specific Apple Watch plans in order to utilise cellular services. Unfortunately, Fido does not currently support cellular services for Apple Watches. On the other hand, if you have another type of smartwatch, you might be able to use the cellular services. However, it would need its own plan. You should note that the smartwatch and your phone would operate independently (unless connected via bluetooth). Since your watch would have its own plan, it would also have its own phone number.

Requiring its own plan means that there would be the extra costs of that separate plan. You can view Fido's plans here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi @Slamdance

Welcome to Community!

I moved your post to this thread as it deals with the same topic. I hope you find info that you are looking for. 

jlits
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

@FidoFrancois  I understand that but my question is why wont apple launch apple watch plans when they already have e-sim technology and the ability to activate e-sim!

jlits
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

Its frustrating that Fido has e-sim technology but wont release apple watch plans. I for one really hope they do so I can use my apple watch cellular option. However if they dont soon i may be forced to switch

Smartwatch

HI FidoRachel,

Thanks for the info. But I need stand alone watch for my kid. In this case I cannot use it with my phone. 

Do you have any info on when smartwatch plans might be awailable? 

Shawn2

Fido is owned by Rogers... They both run on the same networks and the same cell phone towers. Rogers supports the apple watch 3 cellular: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/apple-watch

This has to be a joke at this point. Its been out for a year already. How does Fido not support this? 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Shawn2!

You can definitely connect your Apple Watch to your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi but not the LTE network as it's not something we'll be carrying. We are constantly reviewing our device line-up, however, at this time we will not carry any Apple Watch on Fido. We always want our customers to have the best offers possible and we offer many great services here at Fido. We always try to offer you the best value with competitive plans, tons of extra services like Fido Roam, Fido Xtra and 5 extra hours of data!

That said, the original question from @Smartwatch on this thread was regarding Smart watches for kids, and that is something that can be used on our network (as long as the watch takes a physical SIM card). To do so, one can get any data-only plan or a talk, text, and data plan and use it with the smart watch. The type of plan needed does depend on the watch as some make calls and will require a talk and text plan.

I hope this helps!

AtomX
I'm a contributor level 1

Why won't you carry Apple Watch on FIDO? 

tp000

They want to play Fido as their bargain brand and Rogers as their premium brand.  It’s just marketing... it’s the same network but Fido plans are cheaper. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @AtomX

We're always reviewing our line-up to ensure our customers have awesome offers and device to use. At this time, the Apple Watch is not a device Fido will carry but we do suggest you keep an eye out on Fido.ca for our latest products and services.

That said, check out my reply above for some additional information. You can always get a watch from Apple and use it on our network Smiley 

AtomX

>> That said, check out my reply above for some additional information. You can always get a watch from Apple and use it on our network Smiley 

Uhm... nope. I can NOT use it on your network.

I can only use it on MY network... by connecting the watch to my phone's wifi and bluetooth signal... that's not your network.

Saying I can use it on your network is like saying if I buy wireless headphones, I can use them connect them to my phone and use them on your network.

The whole POINT is that Rogers does NOT allow the watch on the FIDO network...