cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International OTP SMS delivery failure

AussieMike
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

So I am from Australia and my bank NAB has been sending a OTP for me to reset my password but as NAB isn't on the authorised list of short-form SMS senders the messages do not get through to me hence I can't access my account.  So how do I get NAB onto the list noting that it is a well established Australian Bank, not someone spamming the world trying to find victims as that is why the short form SMS  were blocked with the exception of the parties on the approved list. Please, someone, help as I am about to lose my mind with all this nonsense.

4 REPLIES 4

SNV
I'm a participant level 2

Short form codes are only for operations within the country. For sms to North American mobiles only 10 DLC (10 digit long codes) are accepted.  This 10 DLC is simply a sender ID that is recognized as authentic in North America. Thus your Australian bank has to send the OTP through a 10DLC process. If your bank does not have a large business interest outside Australia it is highly unlikely that they will opt to acquire a 10 DLC(which is simply a valid toll free number). You may want find out if your bank is willing to send the password reset code via EMail

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello AussieMike,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned here, short codes must be approved by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) and each of the Canadian carriers before a program is provisioned on their respective networks. Unfortunately, the CWTA might only approve short codes from organisation which operate in Canada. That said, you might consider asking your bank to apply for a Canadian short code. Alternatively, you might need to ask them if there is any other method of authenticating your identity.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mapleplusmandar

that absolutely does not aid in any of the things mike and i are trying to achieve here. i bank with commonwealth bank of australia, and i called them to see why otps were not delivered to my canadian number; they told me that everything worked out fine on their end.

the funny thing is, however, my friend who also banks with commonbank, is able to receive msgs from the australian bank. i was able to receive the netcodes from the bank for a few months, and then it all stopped working for me. 

Hello Mapleplusmandar,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry you did not find any of the information provided useful. However, you should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not be able to investigate any issues you might be having with receiving those codes. We can only provide generalised information.

When you previously received the codes, were they from a short code or actual phone number? I'm guessing they were from a phone number. It's possible those particular phone numbers were mistakenly flagged as being SPAM and blocked by the network. It's also possible those numbers were being spoofed at some point to send SPAM and blocked for that reason.

If you would like to discuss your situation, you would need to contact Fido's technical support so they may look into the situation. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers