cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to provide service

timolive
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

In October 2023  I travelled to Windsor Ontario via northern United States.  Before I left I met with Kiosk Fido in Dartmouth and to arrange for phone access when in the US.  I was told it was arranged and what the charge would be. Basically $15.00 per day which I agreed to.  When travelling through USA my phone calls could not be completed each day we tried. I attempted to contact Fido but that is impossible with the contact service they have.  I got home and found that I had been charged for all the failed attemps to complete a call until I got back into Canada.  I have paid this bill but I am very upset that Fido does not respond to my calls to speak to someone about this situation.  All I can say is that to fail to provide to two seniors over 75 phone service while travelling by car is inexcusable and dangerous.  Unfortunately Fido has no interest in providing a complete service and or the potential for lack of available service should an emergency have occurred on this trip.  It is time in Canada that tighter regulations be put on phone service providers before an emergency becomes a death due to incompetent service providers.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Timolive,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you and your wife were not able to use your devices to make or receive calls in the US.

@timolive wrote:

... Fido has no interest in providing a complete service and or the potential for lack of available service should an emergency have occurred on this trip.  It is time in Canada that tighter regulations be put on phone service providers before an emergency becomes a death due to incompetent service providers.

Unfortunately, Canadian mobile providers are dependent on the networks available in other Countries when their customers roam. They don't have their own networks in other Countries. Their completeness of service is completely reliant on what networks are available. I understand it is vogue to blame Canadian regulations, however, those regulations would have no bearing on how other Countries manage their networks and/or providers.

I understand you had spoken with Fido prior to your trip to arrange Fido roaming. What device and plan were you using? It would be important to note that the US has shut-down their '3G' networks (see here). If your phone and plan are not voice-over-LTE (voLTE) capable, you would not be able to use voice or messaging services.

If your device and plan were supported for voLTE, did you use the full International dialling format (+1 + area code + phone number)? If you did not, that could also account for why your calls may not have been able to complete.

I also understand you may have been charged when trying to use your phone. Had you viewed the detailed billing for those charges? Is it possible those charges were for using data rather than calls? You should be able view those details via your My Account --> View & Manage Bill. From there, you should be able to Save and/or Print a PDF copy of your bill. Alternatively, you should also be able to access those call details by clicking on Usage summary.

I further understand you are upset about Fido not responding to your calls. However, you should note these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you would like to discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers