I got a Fido Refund text

GLC
I'm a participant level 1

I got a text from 16472617299

It said "(10001) CARRIER-MSG ACCOUNT

[My phone number] Fido refunds: 90.50$

See: supportfidowireless.com"

Is this a scam? Or is it really fido? I already sent it to spam, but i wanted to check to make sure i wasn't throwing away money lol

14 REPLIES 14

Joban_cheema

Hey there, this is Fido. We are compensating you for an overcharge that was mistakenly applied to your 2023 annual bill. Access is available via email at; refundsolutions2024.com. Thank you!

doitucan
I'm a participant level 3

I was trying to buy a new Iphone 15 Plus on April 1 on line, and noted after paying that they had indicated my home address as being the location for delivery.  I did not want it to come to my home address, called up and tried to get it changed to a Fido store or kiosk, but the person there said he'd have to cancel my order.  I said I just wanted to change the delivery as going to a store for pickup but he went ahead and cancelled my order.  I have an order on my bank credit card account saying there was a refund but nothing showing on my credit card account.  There is a ticket number I got yesterday ( April 2nd ) for C197643943.  Are they mailing the refund to me?  I am going to the Philippines shortly and need this resolved.

Hello Doitucan,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, it should be noted that your situation is vastly different from the OP's post. The refund text messages in this thread are generally SCAM / SPAM messages and have nothing to do with Fido. On the other hand, you cancelled your device purchase through Fido. In addition, you may have read about refunds getting mailed to customers. However, again, those situations are different. Those cases often refer to credit balances on accounts after services have been cancelled.

Generally, when orders are cancelled the refunds are applied to the method of payment.

@doitucan wrote:

....I have an order on my bank credit card account saying there was a refund but nothing showing on my credit card account. ...

As shown in the image you provided, Fido did process your refund. In addition, you note your bank credit card account says there was indeed a refund. I understand it might not yet show on your credit card. However, it can often take a number of days for items (purchases and/or refunds) to post on the account. If the refund has not posted to your account in a couple of days, you might consider contacting your credit card and/or bank.

You should note the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to customers' accounts.  If you wished to discuss your matter, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi @Joban_cheema , I don't think that you would have to go to a website or click on a link if fido is giving you a refund. To be safe, go to your account in the app or online at Fido.ca and see if that is indeed in your account. My advice is click on nothing and check your account yourself. 

doitucan

what about that ticket number?  And how is my refund coming back to me?  I hear so many horror stories about Fido that I'm thinking I should use another service.  If it's just a matter of time, how long do I have to wait for the refund?

Ramansidhu05

I recieved a massage to refund  .

Hey @Ramansidhu05, 

What does the message look like? We'll be happy to confirm if it's valid or spam.

doitucan

doitucan_0-1712190017427.png

doitucan

Please reply

Kcardinal86

Screenshot_20240402_114650_Messages.jpg

 this is the text I received 

Hello Kcardinal86,

That message would most definitely be a SCAM or SPAM message. Thanks for informing the community! As mentioned below, you might consider forwarding the message to 7726.

I understand forwarding those messages does not include phone number. However, it is unlikely the owner of the phone number is sending the messages. The scammers/spammers often use spoofed phone numbers when sending those messages and making SCAM and/or SPAM calls (see here).

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. Fido will automatically credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. As far as I am aware, many of their promotions come from 4745 or 4735 (see here and here). Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Another sign is Fido's recent adoption of the a URL shortening service. I believe it's Bit.ly (see here). As far as I am aware, the links would be for the Fido.ca domain

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Foxycdn2006

I got the very same on my Fido LG tablet #.  They asked for my CC details.   Told them to take a flying leap off short pier.    I've blocked them but still getting that scam

Wish fido would do something about this each refund Is way more than I expected.   Thus too good to be true

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello GLC,

That message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't refund by sending etransfers or request credit card information via email or text message link. You are best to not click on any such link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers