cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formal complaint

WalkingWhale
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Simply put, Fido changed my mobile phone number without authorization, charged an activation fee after I had not activated and cancelled my account, and then sent me an email asking for money.

Details: Fido Promotions got my old cell phone from Rogers and marketed me as a win-back customer to get a new plan. But they didn't tell me that they "generously" gave me a new number in the background after I repeatedly said, "Please don't activate without authorization." I still use my previous account. I was furious when I found out they gave me a random number, so I immediately informed customer service to cancel it and record it on the record. They promised I wouldn't be charged for the time being, but tonight I got the bill:
Setup service fee November 22, 2023 $60.00

The funny thing is that I never activated the new card and told them not to continue back-door operations.
Please resolve it properly according to the recording of each customer service call. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello WalkingWhale,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to customer accounts. Unfortunately, we do not know what was discussed with the win-back team.

A couple of points of clarification, though:

@WalkingWhale wrote:

... I was furious when I found out they gave me a random number,...

I understand you might have intended on keeping your number. However, you should note when purchasing a new plan, the line will be provided a phone number (temporary, if you intend on porting one in). You will only be able to get your current phone number once the porting process completes (see here). A new line cannot be created without a phone number and your phone number cannot port-over without an active line. There was no malintent in your line having a new number. It is a necessary part of the process.

@WalkingWhale wrote:

...The funny thing is that I never activated the new card...

If you received a new SIM card, that line would have been activated when it was set-up regardless of whether you used the SIM card or not.

If you would like a resolution to your issue, you would need to contact customer service. They can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers