FIDO roam is a complete scam

I'm a Participant Level 2 Qwerty987654321
I'm a Participant Level 2

FIDO roam is a complete scam

I just returned from the UK. My 12 year old son was very careful with his phone. We not only disabled data roaming but turned cellular data completely off to avoid any charges. Then I get the bill and it is charging $12 per day for Fido roam. He only used wifi when on the web but somehow I guess SMS text messages get through and he unknowingly incurred these charges. I called support and they gave a $20 credit against what will be about a $84 charge, claiming this was a good faith gesture as these were valid charges. Says who? I never asked for roaming access - that is why we turned off cellular data (which is what I do successfully with my tigers phone). And now Fido tells me the only way to avoid this is to put in airplane mode. News flash Fido - airplane mode is intended to avoid signal interference on, you guessed it, airplanes! Not to be used as a way to avoid charges.

I accepted the $20 credit as what else can I do? But This is absolutely astounding. I actually feel violated by Fido. I have had a cell phone since 1995. I have never once complained about anything to any carrier (bell, Rogers or Fido)but this one is actually offensive and needs a regulator to act on. I now see plenty of complaints online about Fido roam for the same reason. Spare me the sales speak Fido, this is highway robbery.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4

Re: FIDO roam is a complete scam

Hey @Qwerty987654321! Welcome to the Community! 

I definitely understand how these charges can be surprising.

I can assure you however that we do not try to hide any information regarding Fido Roam and if you were charged, it means your phone and SIM indeed connected to a non-Canadian network and were used. 

When arriving at an eligible destination, you receive an SMS to let you know about Fido Roam. 

As per the information given, using your data, sending a text and making / receiving a call will trigger the charge.

To avoid Fido Roam fees, you have to make sure that your mobile / roaming data is turned off, to not send texts and to not make / receive phone calls.

You can also put your phone on airplane mode, turn off the device or remove the SIM.

While the airplane mode is usually used while on a plane, it is mainly because of the fact that this feature completely prevents any connection to any network, therefore it's a great solution to avoid charges while abroad.

All Fido Roam details can be found here here

If you still need assistance with your account or bill, feel free contact us here

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 2 Qwerty987654321
I'm a Participant Level 2

I appreciate you responding. I recognize that it is not anyways easy to respond to irate customers.

Yes I did receive that text. That said, I assumed that turning off roaming and all cellular data would make roaming charges impossible. The text did not advise me to turn on airplane mode  to avoid charges. 

I guarantee if that you survey 100 people, 95 of them would have the same expectation. 

The fact I now have to either remove my SIM card or turn on airplane mode for an Entire trip is ludicrous. 

Is there a way I can just opt out of Fido roam and instead just buy a pay per use roaming plan when I need it?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

Hey @Qwerty987654321!  

I definitely understand where you're coming from. 

Taking out your SIM or putting your phone on airplane mode are only suggestions. If you are being careful with the usage (not making / receiving calls or sending texts), you shouldn't be incurring any fees. 

Of course, the data has to be turned off at all times, but receiving a regular SMS won't trigger Fido Roam. 

The last thing we want is to create confusion, so as per the information given in the Fido Roam SMS welcome message, data, talk and text from your plan are all mentioned as being part of it. 

While it's possible to disable Fido Roam, you'd be still charged for roaming at the pay per use rate, which in some cases turn out to be more expensive than the flat daily rate of Fido Roam, which is why we'd rather recommend our customers to be careful. 

I really hope this information help you avoid these kind of charges in the future. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4