cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIDO roam is a complete scam

Qwerty987654321
I'm a participant level 2

I just returned from the UK. My 12 year old son was very careful with his phone. We not only disabled data roaming but turned cellular data completely off to avoid any charges. Then I get the bill and it is charging $12 per day for Fido roam. He only used wifi when on the web but somehow I guess SMS text messages get through and he unknowingly incurred these charges. I called support and they gave a $20 credit against what will be about a $84 charge, claiming this was a good faith gesture as these were valid charges. Says who? I never asked for roaming access - that is why we turned off cellular data (which is what I do successfully with my tigers phone). And now Fido tells me the only way to avoid this is to put in airplane mode. News flash Fido - airplane mode is intended to avoid signal interference on, you guessed it, airplanes! Not to be used as a way to avoid charges.

I accepted the $20 credit as what else can I do? But This is absolutely astounding. I actually feel violated by Fido. I have had a cell phone since 1995. I have never once complained about anything to any carrier (bell, Rogers or Fido)but this one is actually offensive and needs a regulator to act on. I now see plenty of complaints online about Fido roam for the same reason. Spare me the sales speak Fido, this is highway robbery.

18 REPLIES 18

roselieg
I'm a participant level 1

I used to like FIDO but It seems now days FIDO does'nt care how long you have been with the company, to mentioned anyway, I have been  with them for so many many years. I recently recieved my FIDO bill & found out that I got charge $30 for roaming trip to EU. I did purcharge esim with holafly with unlimited data for 15 days but still got charged with roaming, apparently becuase  I used the text with my phone off, data off only Holafly was on. And uses wifi when i was home. Even No courtesy discount at all. For what I understood, they would rather loss you as their loyal client (never missed payment) rather than providing you little reimbursement $30 is really nothing for company with worth 3.4 B 

Hello Roselieg,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges. The Fido Roam charge incurs when your device uses Fido Services abroad. That is, the charge will incur when you make/receive calls, send text messages or your device uses data outside of Canada (see here). 

I understand you purchased a Holafly eSIM. However, as far as I am aware, that service is only for data (see here).

@roselieg wrote:

....  I used the text with my phone off, data off only Holafly was on. ...

I cannot comment on the settings of your phone. However, if you used your device for texting (SMS/MMS), those messages would have been sent using your Fido SIM since Holafly does not provide that service.

I also understand you used Wifi when available. However,  had you used Wifi-calling? There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

priyankaG

We travelled to Asia, and opted for FIDO roam, only to be billed a hefty sum with absolute joke of a coverage. The data coverage was intermittent, and we did not receive a single phone call and could not make outgoing calls either. When I called FIDO, I was told the same story about them not being able to control foreign networks, and was offered a 15dollar credit, which is quite ridiculous! 

Hello PriyankaG,

Sorry to hear you were not able to use your device abroad as you would have liked. However, as already mentioned, service and coverage would be limited by the local foreign networks. In addition, had you verified your device was compatible with the networks in the region? Asia tends to use different bands/frequencies than those used in North America.

I understand you could did not make or receive any calls. However, you should note that roaming usage is more than just calls. While it may have been intermittent, it appears your device was able to use data. The Fido Roam charge incurs when you use Fido services (Talk, Text or Data).

If you noted that the local networks were not going to be sufficient for your needs, you could have enabled Airplane or Flight mode for the remainder of your trip. Enabling that setting should have prevented any further roaming charges. You could have then manually enabled Wifi when required.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Anonymous111

This happened to us as well, my husband travelled and since we had roaming issue on our last travel this time around we were extremely carefull (turned off roaming etc.) but now we have additional $30 bill in the name of data usage. This is exhausting being on call for hours. I dont want to pay additional amount when we did not use it that is unfair. 

NadiaRol

I'm having the same issue right now. I was traveling in Mexico for a full month. I was very careful to deactivate data transmission while I was there. I made and received calls using exclusively the WiFi and my phone was on Airplane Mode. Still, Fido has the guts to charge me 15$ for each day, although on my Invoice it's clearly identified as calls using WiFi. 
Moreover, all around Fido's website and Forums, they give you instructions on how to prevent from using the Mobile network which is: to enable Airplane mode and turn off Data transmission. Which is EXACTLY what I did, the proof is most of my calls are identified as WIC and WOC (using wifi). Sure I made some calls whilst being on the road, so I'm OK paying for the days I used the network.
But, they charging me 15$ per day of use is a clear abuse of trust! I had the automatic credit card payment opted-in for paying my Invoices, it was a terrible surprise to see today How I was ripped off!
I already contacted customer services and I'm leaving this comment here to have a written record of my actions. But sure I won't accept anything else other than a credit for all the days they charged me unjustified.

Hello NadiaRol,

@NadiaRol wrote:

....I made and received calls using exclusively the WiFi and my phone was on Airplane Mode. Still, Fido has the guts to charge me 15$ for each day, although on my Invoice it's clearly identified as calls using WiFi. ...

I understand you had been using Wifi-calling. However, are you aware that some Wifi-calling usage is considered roaming? If your calls and/or text messages -- while abroad -- were made to non-Canadian numbers, that usage would be considered roaming (see link above).

@NadiaRol wrote:

....how to prevent from using the Mobile network which is: to enable Airplane mode and turn off Data transmission. Which is EXACTLY what I did, the proof is most of my calls are identified as WIC and WOC (using wifi). ...

You make a distinction between using Wifi to make/receive calls and the network. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. As you note, the calls you made are logged as WIC or WOC. That means the calls must have gone through the networks. If the calls transmitted entirely over the internet (ie FaceTime) and not through the networks, Fido would not have any record of such calls.

While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks.

In addition, the fee for Fido Roam is charged when your device uses your Fido services. Making and/or receiving calls with your Canadian phone number abroad is using Fido Services. Yes, Fido makes allowances for Wifi-calling usage to Canadian numbers, but it is still technically using their services.

Were the calls and/or messages you sent to non-Canadian phone numbers? If so, those calls/messages would be considered roaming usage.

I also understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider trying to arrange a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations department. It should also be mentioned that any arrangement would be at the discretion of the credit operations team.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

anonymuous

I have been charged $12/day too without informing on time and I am a student. A $200+ bill is not worth it. I am also thinking to switch network. They even promised me 1 free month from any of the first 3 months when I enrolled for Fido as I used a referral. Haven't got that yet(Almost 5 months with Fido). It's the worse network. Doesn't work at most places either. The support is even worse. have been talking for 2 hours with no solution to any problem. They even cut off my husband's connectivity all of a sudden without notice and he had to go there service center show his IDs again and only then they restarted it giving no reasons why they stopped the service. 

anonymuous

Update: Finally rsolved after 2 hours 20 mins on support. They credited me for 2 days but I need to still pay the rest. Something is better than nothing. Still nowhere on the referral program though. Asking me to again wait for the second or third invoice.

Hey @anonymuous,

If you need help with your referral credit, feel free to reach out to us via these methods and we'll happy to take it from there.

Cjreagan123

Yup same thing just happened to me. I am being charged 258 dollars and I was not aware of these charges.as I am new to Fido. I will respectfully take my leave soon because I can't be suffering this.money doesn't fall from the tree and I'm a student.

kayhodson

On the phone right now, totally uncaring support staff. I do not think if you turn your iphone data roaming to "off" you are responsible for how Fido works their end. In my opinion once you have placed the data roaming on off you have done your part.

Not to mention they can analyse the data- did you make phone calls, did you send text messages? In my case I tunred it off right away. Assuming that would be enough, and taking the mistake to trust that they would see this data at the end fo the day. Very dissapointing that they forget the customer in all this. The rate per day is not a lot for use of internet but when you have not used the service because you turned data roaming to off it is unreasonable to pay for the service that was unused.

Hello Kayhodson,

I can understand it's frustrating incurring roaming charges when you thought your phone would not use data abroad. However, you would only get charged for roaming if there is any usage on your SIM card when abroad. In fact, Fido would not even know you were out of the Country unless the Fido SIM connected to the local networks. Roaming charges will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad. (see here). While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. In addition, you should note that sending/receiving iMessages while abroad (and not connected to Wifi) would be considered roaming data. Unfortunately, if the usage listed on your bill, your phone did connect the SIM to the foreign networks and use services.

@kayhodson wrote:

... I do not think if you turn your iphone data roaming to "off" you are responsible for how Fido works their end...

I understand you had disabled roaming data on your device. However, the mobile providers have no control over how your device operates. They will only relay what your phone sends or requests. You should note that it's possible disabling iPhone's roaming data setting doesn't necessarily disable all types of data usage (see here, here, here, here, etc). I understand some of those links are dated but there are more recent other examples as well. An explanation I have read is that devices connect to Apple servers for certain essential functions so it is allowed despite data and roaming data settings disabled. Unfortunately, I don't think there's an official solution as Apple tends to deny it's an issue. It's also possible Apple doesn't consider iMessages as data and not disable them as a part of disabling roaming data. They may also view system data different from user data and allow the former despite roaming data settings.

I also understand that may also not be your fault, but it's not the providers fault either. As mentioned, they only provide services your device uses, whether you intended them or not. They cannot force a device to use services.

For future trips, to ensure unintended data usage, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight modes for the duration of your trip. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand those modes would also prevent receiving SMS, however, you would need to know how your phone behaves in order to prevent unintentional data usage.

**edit**

@kayhodson wrote:

...Not to mention they can analyse the data- did you make phone calls, did you send text messages?...

Have you had a chance to view the billing details for those charges? You should be able to do so via your My Account --> Billing & Payments --> View Bill. From there, you can Print or Save a copy of your bill. Alternatively,  you can view the details online. If the usage is during your current billing cycle, it is possible the details of usage might not be available until the current cycle ends. While the foreign networks inform a customer's home network of usage, there can be a delay in receiving the actual usage details.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Simosimo

Same story for me, after a trip in Italy where I sent probably 20 message ( I though I was charged by each message ) but they said since they send me a message :

Hi, it's Fido: Welcome abroad! You've got Fido Roam with your plan, so go ahead and use your plan's existing data, talk and text for just $12/day (+ taxes) in this destination. Happy travels!

So by sending this message they wave their responsabity saying is my fault to not go through and change it or call them. Since I’m otherside of the world dealing with 1000 things I suppose to call them to change my plan! When I expect if I want a daily plan I suppose to agree about it if I want it or not. No charge me by default. So is a SCAM to me. Company suppose to take care of their customer instead try tricky way to make money.so my suggestion change company with a cheaper plan so you will save money on it to recover the damage caused by Fido ! And please spread word around social media so other people will know about it 

Hey @Simosimo

Sorry to learn you had that experience with your invoice.

For assistance with your bill, it will be necessary to contact our customer service. You can find the ways to reach us on our contact page here.

FidoAllan

Hey @Qwerty987654321! Welcome to the Community! 

I definitely understand how these charges can be surprising.

I can assure you however that we do not try to hide any information regarding Fido Roam and if you were charged, it means your phone and SIM indeed connected to a non-Canadian network and were used. 

When arriving at an eligible destination, you receive an SMS to let you know about Fido Roam. 

As per the information given, using your data, sending a text, and making / receiving a call will trigger the charge.

To avoid Fido Roam fees, you have to make sure that your mobile / roaming data is turned off, to not send texts and to not make / receive phone calls.

You can also put your phone on airplane mode, turn off the device or remove the SIM.

While the airplane mode is usually used while on a plane, it is mainly because of the fact that this feature completely prevents any connection to any network, therefore it's a great solution to avoid charges while abroad.

All Fido Roam details can be found here

If you still need assistance with your account or bill, feel free contact us here.

Qwerty987654321

I appreciate you responding. I recognize that it is not anyways easy to respond to irate customers.

Yes I did receive that text. That said, I assumed that turning off roaming and all cellular data would make roaming charges impossible. The text did not advise me to turn on airplane mode  to avoid charges. 

I guarantee if that you survey 100 people, 95 of them would have the same expectation. 

The fact I now have to either remove my SIM card or turn on airplane mode for an Entire trip is ludicrous. 

Is there a way I can just opt out of Fido roam and instead just buy a pay per use roaming plan when I need it?

Hey @Qwerty987654321!  

I definitely understand where you're coming from. 

Taking out your SIM or putting your phone on airplane mode are only suggestions. If you are being careful with the usage (not making / receiving calls or sending texts), you shouldn't be incurring any fees. 

Of course, the data has to be turned off at all times but receiving a regular SMS won't trigger Fido Roam. 

The last thing we want is to create confusion, so as per the information given in the Fido Roam SMS welcome message, data, talk and text from your plan are all mentioned as being part of it. 

While it's possible to disable Fido Roam, you'd be still charged for roaming at the pay per use rate, which in some cases turn out to be more expensive than the flat daily rate of Fido Roam, which is why we'd rather recommend our customers to be careful. 

I really hope this information help you avoid these kinds of charges in the future.