cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data blocking

Partacidcharm
I'm a participant level 2

I have a phone for my ex in my name that he uses. I am worried about his data usage. When he approaches his data limit for the month, am I able to call Fido and have them block the data to the phone?

11 REPLIES 11

Silveroo
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Having a data blocking feature would be great, but that would be counter to shareholders' objective to maximise profits.

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

step 1: cancel ex mobile line (he should get his own)

step 2 : smile

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @Partacidcharm

As mentioned on this thread, we don't block data usage. Some devices however offer the possibility to restrict the data when you reach a certain amount, but this is only available in the settings of the phone itself.

A block is added on the account when the user reaches $50 of over usage but this can be lifted if the user accepts the charges and agrees to continue being charged. 

Don't forget, since you're the account holder you're able to monitor the usage in many different ways

Have you thought of doing a Transfer of responsibility

fffabre
I'm a participant level 1

That sound like a big scam that fido can only block after $50 overcharge. Interesting!

Not at all @fffabre!

This is a courtesy provided by Fido on your account in accordance with the wireless code. We also provide notifications when you reach 90% and 100% of your data allowance.

I hope this clarifies. Smiley

Strawberries73

The companies courtesy actually adds to my nightmare. My daughter ran up the data over $500 in 3 days, and promise not to do it again. Then she stopped paying her bill entirely and ran up the data once again. With no block option, she accepts charges as the user and I am stuck with the bill.  If I can't find a way to block her from topping up the data, I will have to pay the balance and cut the phone off. I have 6 family members on my account and I would really prefer to stay with Fido. I've been a customer since 2009. I'd appreciate an alternative solution, thanks.

Hello @Strawberries73,

Sorry to learn about your trouble. That said, the account holder can manage who can authorize additional charges on the account through their fido.ca profile. This way, they can avoid surprises on their bill. 

Once you've logged in on your fido.ca account:

1-  Select the ''Account Overview'' tab

2 - Select the line you wish to manage by clicking on ''View Usage & Manage''

3 - Select ''View Detail'' next to total plan data bucket (you'll also see Add Data in yellow next to it)

4 - Scroll down to the portion that allows you to manage who can authorize additional charges on the account and select ''Add/manage authorized users''

Once you've reached the page, you can remove your daughter's access to accept additional charges on the account.

I hope this helps! 

Angel72

Can i please know how to block data at 90%

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Angel72!

With our new plans that include Data Overage Protection data is blocked once you reach 90% of your usage.

We don't offer an option to block usage at 90% but some Android phones may offer this type of phone in the settings so that's an option you can explore Smiley

Partacidcharm

That’s really unfortunate. I know other companies will put a data block on. He will not pass a credit check so will be unable to separate the account. I guess I will just have to cancel the account as I do not want to be stuck paying overage charges.

Thanks for clarifying @Partacidcharm !

We can look into different plan options if you'd like Smiley 

Let us know and we'll happy to help