cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese (or else) recorded call almost everyday !

PCIMPOTS
I'm a participant level 2

Almost everyday, I am receiving a recorded call in Chinese (or else) ! This has been for months, now. Anybody else receiving this annoying call ? Every time, the source calling number is different. No way to stop this ?

56 REPLIES 56

Hey @Gogo2019,

We understand these calls can be annoying and frustrating. These scammers have also been impersonating agents from banks and other wireless providers. We have been working with law enforcement, the CRTC, and other Canadian wireless companies to put a stop to these messages/calls.

For more information on how to protect yourself from these spam calls, check out this article here on our Community Forums: https://fido.ly/2QucL7Y. You can also report these calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by calling toll-free at 1-888-495-8501, or online at https://antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/report-signalez-eng.htm

Also, another tip, you may also want to consider looking into a call blocking app on your device - there are several available in the App Store and Google Play Store that can block any incoming call with a number that isn't on your contact list. This feature is also built into the settings on some Android devices. Please note that blocked calls will still go to your voicemail so you may still need to go through your messages regularly.

I hope this helps! 😃

DanHighRes
I'm a contributor level 1

All Fido support has the same answer for it: we don't have solution. Not even interested in listening to that. TERRIBLE SUPPORT!

Angryexcustomer
I'm a participant level 1

One of the many reasons I left Fido. Someone is spamming Fido customers, and claiming to be with Fido. Yet Fido doesn’t care at all. No help, no support, no ideas of any kind. Thanks again for nothing. Just switched to bell after 10 horrible years with Fido because of constant frustration with their farmed overseas customer service. Good bye and good riddance!

Hey @orminator! Welcome to the community. Smiley

I understand your frustration there. Nobody likes to be bothered by spam calls. Allow me to clarify a few points however:

1. Our do not call list is an internal one that only affects calls, mail, SMS, or emails from Fido or Rogers. Other companies might still contact you. It's suggested that you register to the National Do Not Call List managed by the CRTC to prevent these types of calls.

2. We in no way condone or encourage spam calls to our customers.

3. We also provide (or try to provide) the best service we can to all our clients, not just our corporate ones.

We are ready and willing to help you if you have any more questions or concerns. Smiley

DanHighRes

What are you suggestin is impossible, because scammers change number every day, so you are saying to get another full time job to block scammers instead of trying to figure out solution by HUGE FIDO company.

orminator

Have been registered with CRTC since 2013

when you have tens of thousands of calls coming from Ottawa from numbers with the same first 6 digits starting with 613-789 its pretty obvious that they are spam calls so why do you not block the numbers.

Fido obviously has the ability and algorithms to track these spam callers but cannot be bothered because it means that users have to upgrade their voicemail to accept more than three messages before the mailbox fills up.

It is truly unconscionable that there is a limit of three voicemail messages in a mailbox - paying 35 dollars a month for service and the mailbox is only sized to accept 3 voicemail messages - you people must be kidding!

ATROCIOUS

cratthe

Worst, if you pay to upgrade your voicemail, yuo have more storage.. BUT it's deleted after 10 days !

Ie: if you go on vacation fro two week, you lose message.

Hello Orminator, welcome to the community!

@orminator wrote:...

Fido obviously has the ability and algorithms to track these spam callers...

Unfortunately, that is not true. The technology is not yet available to identify the true spammers' number. Even the CRTC admits there is currently little that can be done to determine the origins of nuisance calls. The spammers often use spoofed numbers. That is, the numbers shown on the caller ID do not belong to the spammers; they belong to potentially innocent people. Often those people don't even know their numbers are being used to make SPAM calls or send SPAM messages. The only way they find out occurs when irate spammees call the numbers or send texts to asking them to stop calling or stop messaging.

Mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. What if the spammers chose to spoof your number? I think you would agree that if they blocked your number simply based on its apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS, you would not be impressed.

It's likely that the spammers use computers to make the calls and send SMS using an IP phone service. In fact, it's rather likely the spammers originate from outside of Canada.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. That said, it is hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to reduce nuisance calls (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cratthe

Then the solution is pretty simple, DEMANDS that your technology provider revise the protocols to prevent this.

This is a technical problem that is not solve for political reason.

Hello @cratthe,

I'm not sure if you are aware but the carriers are working on new measures (STIR/SHAKEN) to combat these spam calls.

You can get some more info here.

cratthe

AHa ! that's what I'm talking about, about time the CRTC act..

Now, if the banking inustry can make it so that nigeria'sn bank transfer get blocked/reversed when a fraud occur...

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @cratthe 

Unfortunately but mostly fortunately I don't think your device maker nor  service providers would block out communication protocols (open source). 

A lot of those technologies are headed by boards such as IEEE etc. It does provide some guidelines and reviews but alot of what technologies is about would have never come to life without the cooperation of the grid (us!) there are always development and advancement in the shades most of it is used for the good advancement but there are potential cyber risks in using technology. Canada as very little say to that.

Cheers!

PJB_Montreal

Is this issue unique to Fido? None of my friends currently on other Carriers have complained about anything similar.

PJB

@PJB_Montreal,

I have a friend on Freedom and he says he gets them all day once he showed me his call log and he had like 13 calls in one day but he does detailing and he advertise with the number so i'm not sure if that's why he gets so many.

I have a number with Fongo and I notice I get a few calls there also but I recently acquire that number from Fido and park it with Fongo.

Reese

Hi, 

Fido really needs to solve these annoying Chinese speaking phone calls. I have been charged long distance rate when I received these different number calls abroad.