Chinese (or else) recorded call almost everyday !

I'm a Participant Level 2 PCIMPOTS
I'm a Participant Level 2

Chinese (or else) recorded call almost everyday !

Almost everyday, I am receiving a recorded call in Chinese (or else) ! This has been for months, now. Anybody else receiving this annoying call ? Every time, the source calling number is different. No way to stop this ?

Accepted Solution

Re: Chinese (or else) recorded call almost everyday !

Hey PCIMPOTS!

I know it's never fun to be getting unwanted calls. I, myself, have been receiving these type of calls from time to time too. 

Your best bet in this situation would be to report the callers to the to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You can reach them online or by calling 1-888-495-8501.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 13
Solution

Hey PCIMPOTS!

I know it's never fun to be getting unwanted calls. I, myself, have been receiving these type of calls from time to time too. 

Your best bet in this situation would be to report the callers to the to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You can reach them online or by calling 1-888-495-8501.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 2 PCIMPOTS

Since desactivating VoiceMail, no more calls...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 13
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Hey PCIMPOTS,

Hmm that's one way to do it! It might not be an option for customers that need their voicemail but thanks for sharing your solution with us Smiley

We do recommend to report those calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center to prevent such calls for all wireless customers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 2 orminator

Fido is pretty useless and obviously does not care: I have contacted customer support (joke) and have been taken off their list to accept "promotional" calls. Am on the "DO NOT CALL" list but Fido will not deal with these spam calls. How difficult can it be when if they  actually care they could easily deal with it.

Annoying thing is these calls keep leaving messages and clog up the voicemail box.

Pretty obvious that Fido actually likes these spam callers since when there are three messages in the voicemail box the caller (i.e. genuine callers) cannot leave a message.

The customer then has to pay an extra monthly fee to accept more than 3 calls to voicemailbox.

Pitiful lack of service by Fido and Rogers.

Likely the most expensive cell phone service in the world and virtually zero support for the average consumer though I know that corporate customers will get some actual support

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 13
Highlighted

Hey @orminator!

Welcome to the community. Smiley

I understand your frustration there. Nobody likes to be bothered by spam calls. Allow me to clarify a few points however:

1. Our do not call list is an internal one that only affects calls, mail, SMS, or emails from Fido or Rogers. Other companies might still contact you. It's suggested that you register to the National Do Not Call List managed by the CRTC to prevent these types of calls.

2. We in no way condone or encourage spam calls to our customers.

3. We also provide (or try to provide) the best service we can to all our clients, not just our corporate ones.

We are ready and willing to help you if you have any more questions or concerns. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 2 orminator

Have been registered with CRTC since 2013

when you have tens of thousands of calls coming from Ottawa from numbers with the same first 6 digits starting with 613-789 its pretty obvious that they are spam calls so why do you not block the numbers.

Fido obviously has the ability and algorithms to track these spam callers but cannot be bothered because it means that users have to upgrade their voicemail to accept more than three messages before the mailbox fills up.

It is truly unconscionable that there is a limit of three voicemail messages in a mailbox - paying 35 dollars a month for service and the mailbox is only sized to accept 3 voicemail messages - you people must be kidding!

ATROCIOUS

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 13
MVP
MVP

Hello Orminator,

Welcome to the community!

@orminator wrote:...

Fido obviously has the ability and algorithms to track these spam callers...

Unfortunately, that is not true. The technology is not yet available to identify the true spammers' number. Even the CRTC admits there is currently little that can be done to determine the origins of nuisance calls. The spammers often use spoofed numbers. That is, the numbers shown on the caller ID do not belong to the spammers; they belong to potentially innocent people. Often those people don't even know their numbers are being used to make SPAM calls or send SPAM messages. The only way they find out occurs when irate spammees call the numbers or send texts to asking them to stop calling or stop messaging.

Mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. What if the spammers chose to spoof your number? I think you would agree that if they blocked your number simply based on its apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS, you would not be impressed.

It's likely that the spammers use computers to make the calls and send SMS using an IP phone service. In fact, it's rather likely the spammers originate from outside of Canada.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. That said, it is hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to reduce nuisance calls (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 1 Reese
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi, 

Fido really needs to solve these annoying Chinese speaking phone calls. I have been charged long distance rate when I received these different number calls abroad.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 1 jrobinson42

Hey Fido,

These Chinese calls always go to my voice mail which makes it worse. Now I have to check voice mail to find out it is a scam, then delete it. I'm getting these calls about every second day. Could you not change your voice system to:

a: When you reject an incoming call it does not go to voice mail, it just hangs up

b: Could you setup voice mail so that a user action has to occour before a message can be left. Example: after your message the caller needs to press 5 (or some number of my choosing), to be able to leave a message. That should stop most of these calls going to voice mail and if there is a real human and legit caller, they can leave a message.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 13

Hey @jrobinson,

Welcome to our Community!

I really understand that having your voicemail filled with those messages must not be pleasant. 

The reason a call goes to voicemail when rejected is because of the way Unconditional Call Forward works when you have a voicemail option on your line. Calls are transferred to the voicemail if the number is busy, the call isn’t answered (which includes call rejection or simply letting the call ring without an answer), or your number is unreachable.

This being said, your feedback is definitely valued and we'll take care of forwarding it to the right people. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 1 PJB_Montreal

Is this issue unique to Fido? None of my friends currently on other Carriers have complained about anything similar.

PJB

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 13
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@PJB_Montreal,

I have a friend on Freedom and he says he gets them all day once he showed me his call log and he had like 13 calls in one day but he does detailing and he advertise with the number so i'm not sure if that's why he gets so many.

I have a number with Fongo and I notice I get a few calls there also but I recently acquire that number from Fido and park it with Fongo.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 13