Cellular data not working! Roaming not working!

I'm a Participant Level 3 ranata
I'm a Participant Level 3

Cellular data not working! Roaming not working!

My cellular data and roaming not working most of the time. I'm missing on important calls and emails, can not use navigation... Why am I paying for the plan with data if I have no data?!!! Your tech support sucks - instead of help got a sales pitch to purchase new phone. Seriously?!!

Nothing wrong with my phone. And as I noticed lots of your customers having the same issue. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 22
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Re: Cellular data not working! Roaming not working!

Hey @ranata,

Welcome to the Community!

I completely get where you're coming from, rest assured that you're at the right place for help Smiley Let's take a look at your situation together and see how we can fix this.

I'll need to ask you a few questions to better help you!

1. You mentioned you were roaming, in which country are you currently in?

2. What is the signal on your device?

3. Is the issue intermittent or you do not have any service at all (including incoming SMS)?

4. What is the model of your phone?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 22

Hi Thomas,

Cellular data issue comes and goes. When I notice that data is down usually reset network, save APN and restart phone does the trick. Some times not. Roaming I was not able to get to work ever. I'm in Canada and frequently traveling to US, Washington and Oregon states. My phone is LG G3. It was working like a charm before I change plan.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 22
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

That definitely doesn't sound right!

The fact that you need to reset the Network Settings each time might indicate an issue with the device. That being said, we have a few things to check before to make sure that it is not an network/ SIM card issue. You mentioned that it was working before you changed your plan, we'll check this out too!

I'll send you a PM and we will continue over there Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 22

Hi Thomas,

I'm resetting networks because I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. In the same time I'm re-entering and saving APN. And as I mentioned before - sometines it helps with mobile data, sometimes it don't. Roaming NEVER worked. Nothing is wrong with my phone. Why I'm so sure? Because it works just fine with another providers.

Also it has been a week since you said that will send PM. I did not get it.  

So frustrating

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 22

Hey @ranata, we can send you the PM Smiley

Just one final question though. Have you tried connecting to a different American network to see if that changes anything?

As you're not on our network, the problem may lie with the American network. I suggest testing a different one.

Let us know and we'll go from there!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 22
MVP
MVP

Hello Ranata,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that you're still having these issues. Just to clarify, though, was your previous plan also with Fido or from a different provider? If it was a different provider, was it Rogers? If it wasn't Fido or Rogers, it's possible the cellular towers from the other provider are better suited for your location. You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here.

If you are located in an area better covered by the other providers, your phone should be able to connect to their networks using extended coverage (Fido-EXT). However, you should note that its usage is meant to be on a temporary basis only. If you do not spend most of your usage on the Fido/Rogers networks, the service may be blocked.

Also, you initially noted you're missing important calls as well. That might suggest a general reception issue as they are not transmitted via a data connection.

I understand you have a LG G3 phone. Was it purchased from Fido? If purchased from elsewhere, have you verified it has sufficient compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify those bands/frequencies here.

In addition, what network mode setting is your phone currently using? Is it GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE? Have you tried to disable LTE (ie setting GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)) to see if that helps?

Have you verified whether there are any roaming blocks on your account?

**edit** Also to verify, since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here.

As well, are you able to test your SIM in a different phone or test another SIM in your phone?**

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 22

Hi Nick,

I'm purchasing daily plan from Roam Mobile every time I'm going to US, because I can not rely on Fido roam. Roam Mobile working just fine, but it involving sim change (phone number change), and I would gladly pay extra 2 dollars for Fido roam, but it never works. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 22

Thanks for clarifying @ranata,

Have you had the chance to go over what @Cawtau mentioned above? Let us know if it helps.

In the meantime, we're sending a PM your way so we can take a closer look at this together.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 22

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm f

With Fido over 5 years, over 2 years with the same LG phone and cell data worked just fine. Can not comment on roaming as I used to get Roam Mobile for my trips to US. The phone is unlocked, and from the moment I got it it was on Fido. I switched from my original grandfathered plan to new one  In July. And then all fun started. 

I'm missing calls over Skype and Wathapp, not "real" ones.

I did figured out myself about LTE APN and changed in settings. It seems to help with cell data. I have no idea if that helped with roaming. The question is - why tech support would not pointed that direction from the beginning?!!! I have no idea if there is roaming hold on my account. Tech support did not mentioned it and when I text ROAM it returns answer: you are ready to roam.

I wish I would get your help a month ago. But thanks a lot for your help 

One more thing I would like to mentioned - not all cell phone users are tech savvy. And in my humble opinion Fido tech support sucks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 22