cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam - How receiving calls work?

ericntd
I'm a participant level 2

Hi everyone, I'm a small business owner and receiving calls is critical to me.

I'm about to travel to the USA and I am planning to purchase Fido Roam for the trip ($12 per day)

I've never done it before so my questions are:

1. Can my business contacts dial my number normally 416xxxyyyy without the +1 or 00 prefix?

2. Who will have to pay what? It will unacceptable if my contacts have to pay to reach me. They shouldn't even know/ care that I'm out of the country.

3. Will data/ Internet or not? I'm super confused about the 3G not working in the USA. I've been using 4G on my phone all this while

Thanks a lot!

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ericntd,

Welcome to the community!

In addition to what was mentioned by Original_Lucy below,

@ericntd wrote:

1. Can my business contacts dial my number normally 416xxxyyyy without the +1 or 00 prefix?

Since your phone number remains a Canadian phone number, people calling your phone number will not need to dial any specific prefixes to call your mobile when it is out of the Country. To them, they would dial your number as usual since they would not necessarily know where you and your device are located.

@ericntd wrote:

2. Who will have to pay what? It will unacceptable if my contacts have to pay to reach me. They shouldn't even know/ care that I'm out of the country.

As mentioned, they will dial your number as per usual. As such, they would not be charged any additional fees if you are out of the Country. As you are aware, you would incur roaming charges for receiving the calls.

@ericntd wrote:

3. Will data/ Internet or not? I'm super confused about the 3G not working in the USA. I've been using 4G on my phone all this while

You appear to be aware of the 3G/HSPA network shutdown in the US (see here). If your device has compatible LTE (4G) bands/frequencies with the US providers, it should be able to access data and internet services while you are abroad. The potential issue arises if your phone and plan are not voice-over-LTE (voLTE) supported, you might not be able to use voice or messaging services.

I understand you have been currently using LTE on your phone. However, if your phone/plan are not supported for voLTE, it would fall-back to the '3G' networks for calls and messages. You might consider verifying whether your plan (and device) are set for voLTE.

In addition, what plan type do you have? If your plan is post-paid and not a Basic plan, it would already have Fido Roam included. 

You should also note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to customer accounts. If you would like to verify whether your plan includes voLTE, you would need to contact customer service. They can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

ericntd

Hi Cawtau, thank you for your reply, I just want to clarify what you said 

> If your plan is post-paid and not a Basic plan, it would already have Fido Roam included. 

I'm planning to sign up for the 20GB, Talk & Text - BYOP plan. What do you mean by Fido Roam is already included?

My understanding is I will have to:

1. Do some setup with my phone and on fida.ca when my trip starts

2. Pay $12/day

Is my understanding correct?

Hello again,

Apologies for any confusion. As Original_Lucy notes, post-paid plans are often referred to as monthly plans. However, there can be some confusion with some of the pre-paid offerings which also have a monthly option.

With that plan, Fido Roam would already be enabled. Provided your device and plan are voLTE supported, you should be able to make and receive calls and/or send and receive messages without any additional settings. If you wished to use data, you would need to enable roaming data.

What phone are you using? While that plan would likely support voLTE, your device may or may not be supported for the service by Fido. If your device was not available from Fido, it's possible some features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) won't be supported.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @ericntd , as long as you have a monthly plan, you already have fido roam by default. No worries there. A monthly plan is called post paid as you are billed monthly as opposed to prepaid when you pay in advance for minutes. Enjoy your trip. Cheers 

ericntd

Thanks a lot Lucy!

Good morning @ericntd , when you have roaming turned on your plan works just as it does at home. If friends call your mobile, it will ring for you to answer. Texts and full data plan just like at home. You might want to give This page a read just to familiarize yourself with roaming. The daily charges are per calendar day starting 12am est to midnight est. You happen to mention a 416 number so it's based on your calendar day. Hope that helps