cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bango Fraud

Leonlf
I'm a participant level 1

Fido, when you have come across some many complaints against fraudulent Bango charges, you still do not block the charges from them. Do you think that is a right thing? You cannot assume that the customers made such transactions by mistake when so many customers have the same issue. IT IS FRAUD! You as a big provider in Canada have the responsibility to protect your customers and avoid such fraudulent activities! You cannot get away from it! Do NOT ask your customers to contact Bango when you are responsible! The customers do not even get any notice until the bill is up. 

13 REPLIES 13

lvillanu

I got exactly the same charges for $ 94 CAD from Bango, When I called Fido customer support, they told me that I need to send an email to Bango.

How is this possible that Fido allows this type of fraud?

Hey @lvillanu

I understand where you're coming from. As you can see in the previous replies in this thread though, Bango is a third-party applying the fees to your bill through some apps.

I would therefore advise to verify your payment methods settings, and disable Fido for third party billing.

As @Original_Lucy mentioned as well, '' if you downloaded any presumably free apps and provided a cell phone number, that gives them an avenue to bill you through your mobile provider. ''

This is why it's necessary to contact Bango directly if you'd like to dispute any charges from them.
Their contact information is included next to the fees at the bottom of your Fido bill. 

Hope this clarifies! 

Danny84
I'm a contributor level 1

I have the same issue with bango on my fido bills, which I have never purchased or bought anything through the google play apps that cost me money. I don't even know what is bango until I got billed on my fido. I am freaking out as it is costing me a lot of money for 3 charges on bango that isn't me. Fido better fixes this issue or else I'm going to cancel all my 7 products and services with Fido.

leileizcl1980
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I am facing the same problem. I received my bill yesterday with $94 third-party charges from Bango, I contacted Fido, but they don't want to take care of this fraud case. This obviously is their security leak issue. I think everyone who met this case should gather together to fight for our consumer rights.

I did research and found file a complaint via CCTS is an excellent way to solve this issue. Everyone, please file a complaint here: CCTS Questionnaire - Complaint Resolution Form (ccts-cprst.ca)

The expectation from us should be:

1. Fido should Refund us firstly as the Bill payment option provider.

2. Take necessary action to prevent their customers from fraud cases.

3. Communicate within the customer service team internally to make sure the correct message could be delivered to the customer about the right solution for this type of fraud case. Customers are suffering the pain of money lost, and Fido should jump out to solve the issue for the customer instead of asking customers to contact Bango.

Danny84

I agree with you, one person won't be able to fight Fido but if all victims fight fido we might be able to get a good outcome from it. I have the same issue with bango on my fido bills, which I have never purchased or bought anything through the google play apps that cost me money. I don't even know what is bango until I got billed on my fido. I am freaking out as it is costing me a lot of money for 3 charges on bango that isn't me. Fido better fixes this issue or else I'm going to cancel all my 7 products and services with Fido.

Hi @leileizcl1980

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I am sending you a PM to look into this. 

Thank you!

Ahor

I have the same problem. My bill went up to $239 because Bango was charged for $95 for a game that I dont remember purchasing and would never purchased at all! I called their so called customer service yesterday and just told me to contact Bango because she cant do anything on her end. My husband was so made since we both had experience working in a telecommunication in the US and there are always something that we can do especially that we've been with Fido for over 2 years. I initiated a dispute for the charge but the agent said she cant do that and I have to call Bango myself. Like we dont want to pay for $95 FRAUD charw on our phone bill. I am not even abel to consume my DATA every month and they are charging $95 for series of charge on 1 day.  She even told me that with her experience most of the charges were legit! OMG!! Like seriously Fido?. What do you think I can do with this? Cancel my Fido and switch to other carrier??

coffink88

I'm the latest sucker on this, Literally got a Bango bill for $95. Fido will do nothing, told me to call Bango. unbelieveable how long this has gone on and no accoutabilty whatsoever. 

Danny84

I got billed $131 from bango and I have the same issue with bango on my fido bills, which I have never purchased or bought anything through the google play apps that cost me money. I don't even know what is bango until I got billed on my fido. I am freaking out as it is costing me a lot of money for 3 charges on bango that isn't me. Fido better fixes this issue or else I'm going to cancel all my 7 products and services with Fido.

Hi @coffink88 , so sorry you have been 3rd party billed. Have you read any of the other threads regarding 3rd party billing and how to turn them off in Google Play store? Check in your google playstore settings under payment methods, and disable the Fido method for third party billing. If you downloaded any presumably free apps and provided a cell phone number, that gives them an avenue to bill you through your mobile provider. It's not unique to Fido, once you give your cell phone number to "receive a gift" or to add another level to a game, you will be invoiced. Giving your number is giving permission. Best thing to do is remove your payment methods from Google play and check which app on your device is charging you. I have been reading so much about this problem all over the android forums, I put a link in the tips and tricks section about charges on your device from malicious apps. Here is another list of malicious apps. I don't know how to remove the charges, I just found list after list of malicious apps that fraudulantly bill people.

FidoAnthonyZ

Hello @Leonlf,

We definitely appreciate your feedback regarding this.

We can block third-party charges on accounts if customers request it. If this isn't done, customers can choose to pay for certain online service like on the Google Play store using your cellphone bill. These charges aren't created by Fido but by the service itself. If any fraudulent charges for these services appear on your bill, the originator of the charge must be addressed. 

Squirrel168

I got a $98 bill from Bango from the last bill. Fido told me to contact Bango myself. How is it legal that they charge me without having my consent for 3rd partying billing? Dont they need my consent to agree to such an arrangement? 

Can we have a lawsuit similar to that in US?

https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/12/8593085/verizon-sprint-cramming-settlement-fcc-158-million

Hi there @Squirrel168,

As my colleague mentioned above, third-party services can be restricted upon request. Contrastingly, customers also have the freedom to have certain online services billed to their cellphone or internet invoices. Should you have enquiries regarding the services or cost of the services provided by a third party, it is recommended you contact that service provider directly.