Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem issues

Gerry24
I'm a contributor level 2

This is where I am at.

Nothing I have read about the hitron modems have been positive whether they have the intel puma 6 or 7 chip. They have latency issues and when gaming and such there is alot of spikes causing some games to be unbearable when playing MP.

(Not just the ones fido uses there are a ton of these puma chipped modems on the market) So I am at a crossroads to what to do. 

Does fido have any modems with the Broadcom chip in them ?

If not can I purchase a cable modem with a Broadcom chip and use it with fido.

My son and I are at our wits end with the constant ping spikes we suffer while gaming. 

Years of testing, buying routers and access points thinking it was my personal equipment only to end up in the same boat, bad ping spikes. 

I realize that tech support would be the ones to call but I can't get on the phone and go through the script anymore. 

I have rebooted, reconfigured, rewired, reconvened and regrouped. I am hoping there is a option for a new modem, one way or the other. Fido has been good to me but this one reoccurring issue is the thorn in my side I wish to remove. 

Thank you Gerry. 

3 REPLIES 3

Gerry24

I have since upgraded my modem to the CODA-4582U and while it still has the puma chip (Puma 7 I believe) it does seem to perform better than the other modem with the Puma 6.  It's only been 10 days but looks promising so far.

That's lovely to hear, @Gerry24 !

Thank you for the update. Smiley

FidoAlex

Hey @Gerry24, Alex here and I'll be happy to help. 

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you have had with our modem, that's definitely not what we like to hear. The Hitron modem is the only one we have available, but you're free to buy and use your own modem if you prefer.

That being said, I would suggest that you try and get in touch with our home internet technical support team, they'll be able to look into what might be happening and help you from there. They can also authorize a modem swap if the one you have is defective.

I know that waiting on the phone can be unpleasant so you might want to try the live chat on our website. 😊