cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Purchase

calgin
I'm a participant level 2

I see my monthly invoice has $8.00 modem rental fee. I was wondering if there is an option to purchase this modem.

11 REPLIES 11

FidoFaiza

Hi @calgin,

Welcome to Fido Smiley

It's not possible to purchase the modem. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

alaflyca8
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Why ? 

That's simply not an option we provide at this time. Renting the modem also allows us to make sure you can benefit from the latest technology available. 

Don't hesitate if you have any other questions. Smiley 

astrida
I'm a participant level 1

I've been paying the modem rental for 8 years for the same modem. In what sense is that providing the latest technology?
And now I'll be charged an additional $4/month, because of the latest technology?

Nobody seems able to tell me what those $4/month from all of us as of Jan 2024 will change? In addition to the extra $3 months Fido started charing in March 2023?

calgin

So that rental cost is nothing but a marketting scam. Hidden additional cost..

MazinIsmail

It feels illegal to force customers to pay for rental. Fido does not allow to buy modem from them nor do they allow to buy from a different vender. Fido does not anyway make modems. 

Hey @calgin

I can assure you we're not hiding the cost of the modem. All the plans you see online include the cost of the rental. As @FidoPamela mentioned, renting the modem has many benefits.  For example, as opposed to a modem you purchased, there's no limited warranty. As long as you keep the service with us, we'll offer you troubleshooting for your modem and, if necessary, we'll be able to replace it without charging you anything extra (unless the issue is due to physical damage on the modem).

ReducingMyBill

It's now 5 years later, 2023. Mobile & cell phone bills have increased thanks to the CRTC internet code. Everyone in Canada knows big Telecom is ripping off Canadians as we pay more than anyone. 

"British website surveyed 228 countries to find the lowest average cost of one gigabyte of data, using American dollars. It found that Canadians rank 209th on average paying $12.55. Americans pay about two-thirds of what we do and the further we go, the numbers significantly drop. Australians pay 68 cents. The lowest is India averaging just six cents per gigabyte."

So paying $8/month for modem rental is a scam. So in 2023 can we buy a modem? I shudder to think how much money I've wasted paying you $8/month for nothing, plus my average outrageous $12.55/GB. 

Hey there @ReducingMyBill

Our modems are provided as part of our package and the cost is included in the total monthly cost. You can find more details on our website as well Smiley

xbex

When I left my previous home and no longer required my own internet, I disconnected but was charged for the cost of the modem (over $200) for not returning it on time. Do you mean to tell me that when I move back out on my own again, I will be unable to use that modem if I return to Fido when it is still the same modem and I was already charged a cost to 'own it'? If so, I would like to be able to return it to receive my money back. Keep in mind this was due to a death in the family, so you can imagine that I was incapable of being 'prompt' at returning a modem due to life circumstances.

Hello Xbex,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. There may be some measures they can offer to accommodate your situation. You should note that this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you would like to discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service . In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

@xbex wrote:

...Do you mean to tell me that when I move back out on my own again, I will be unable to use that modem if I return to Fido when it is still the same modem and I was already charged a cost to 'own it'? ...

As noted in the posts above, the modems were on a rental basis. As such. the equipment still belongs to Fido.

Modem rental.jpg

~taken from Terms of Service; section 6f

If you choose to get their Home Internet at a later date, you will be provided with another modem.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers