Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Dog274
I'm a participant level 3

How can I verify if a text message is actually coming from the source identified? I received this spammy text message from the following phone number. 1(833)267-8831 and the message reads "Snapchat: You have friends on Snapchat! Add them: https://snapchat.com/t/39ywfWpgviJ3  To unsubscribe: w.snapchat.com/bXr4ukFF  I have this app and have not consented to such communication and do not see a means of managing for them in my preference settings. Snapchat will not give me a definitive answer. 

Ruby2U
I'm a participant level 2

IMG_7785.jpeg

Ruby2U

I also received a phone call from "Rogers" wanting to thank me for being a loyal customer in the past week.

Unfortunately, I fell this scam back in the spring.

Moz

A244D982-45C6-49F3-8383-09887A121B1C.png

Hey @Moz! Thank you very much for bringing that to our attention. You may also forward the content of the SMS to 7726 (SPAM) to have it investigated and blocked from Fido network.

JRnCo
I'm a participant level 1
  • Has anyone else received this is it legit?? Or a scam??

(Fido Solutions)
Hey there! Wishing you a happy new year! As a token of our appreciation for your IoyaIty, we're delighted to offer you a $50 (CAD) gift. Immerse yourself in the festive spirit with love and fun. Claim your gift here: https://fido-promocenter.info

Hey @JRnCo!

This message is not from us.

As a general rule, we will never send you a suspicious link to click on that requires you to complete a financial transaction, or provide your banking info.

You can report it to Fido by sending it to 7726 (SPAM).

This way, the message will be audited then blocked from the Fido network. This can be easily done on most devices by pressing and holding the body of the message, then press the forward button and send to 7726. Be careful not to click on the link in the text by mistake.

You can read this thread for more information on spam SMS. 

Hello JRnCo,

Welcome to the community!

That message is most definitely a SCAM and/or SPAM. Thanks for flagging it! As mentioned in the solution below, you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter (see here). Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

I understand forwarding those messages does not include phone number. However, it is unlikely the owner of the phone number is sending the messages. The scammers/spammers often use spoofed phone numbers when sending those messages and making SCAM and/or SPAM calls (see here).

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. Fido will automatically credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. As far as I am aware, many of their promotions come from 4745 or 4735 (see here and here). Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Another sign is Fido's recent adoption of the a URL shortening service. I believe it's Bit.ly (see here). As far as I am aware, the links would be for the Fido.ca domain

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Sohamjit

Got a phising email from someone claining fido. this is the number

+1 (647) 248-2718

Hello Sohamjit,

Yes, that does indeed sound like SPAM! Thanks for flagging it! As mentioned in the solution, you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

I understand you have also provided the phone number. However, it is unlikely the owner of the phone number is sending the messages. The scammers/spammers often use spoofed phone numbers when sending those messages and making SCAM and/or SPAM calls (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KayG17

I have tried to send my text message spam using 7726, but it does not work on my iPhone 14 as the steps do not appear as indicated.  If I hold down on the message and click on the arrow to forward it comes up with "To:" I enter 7726, no option to send, and it brings up contacts that have 7726 in their phone number, which are not related to FIDO.

Text message:

Yesterday 6:31 PM

“+1 (819) 432-1564

FlDO MESSAGE!

New Year greetings! Your consistent and IoyaI support Iightens our spirits! As a Ioving gesture,enjoy this $50 gift as a token of our appreciation for your IoyaIty,You're an integraI and vaIuabIe part of our network famiIy.

Get a hoId of it here:

fidorewards-newyear.com

Data rates may appIy.

Hello KayG17,

Thank you for sharing that message and attempting to forward it to 7726.

@KayG17 wrote:

.... "To:" I enter 7726, no option to send, and it brings up contacts that have 7726 in their phone number, which are not related to FIDO.....

I have a similar issue with my Samsung device. I have found that if I press the '+' button to add another contact (and then don't actually add another one), it will provide the option to send the message to 7726. Perhaps, it might work similarily with iPhones.

Another potential issue in reporting the messages is that the system is not able to accept MMS. I have noticed that most, if not all, of my recent SPAM messages are now MMS. I have found that if the subject heading is removed from the forwarded message, it will often convert the message back to SMS and will be able to receivable by the system.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers 

rinkubaloda

@Cawtau Hi I have received the attached scam and i have already forwarded to 7726. They are seeking a 100$ deposit through various financial institutions options.

regards 

rinku

IMG_7334.png

Hello Rinkubaloda,

Thanks for the information and also flagging it!

Cheers

Tdot65

1000001371.jpg

 Great idea.  Here's one for you. 😁

Hello Tdot65,

Yes, that does indeed sound like SPAM! Thanks for flagging it! As mentioned in the solution, you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

ralu1

Received today. That's not my fido account number and not the number Fido usually texts me from.  Otherwise looks legit. 

floydus27

Another one here...315521049_834000758046140_2298287270652141427_n.jpeg

dcom

They don't stop! 

29C97FDD-53E8-4E8F-BF60-6388202456CB.png

phayze

http://4pou.short.gy/FIDO-CRED50 scam

received this one this eve...looked super legit. I stupidly opened and it still looked legit. Asked if I was a robot and went throught the verification preocess. And then a page from Interac appeared. Again, looked good--no spelling erros, no extra 's' on http: I put in enough banking information to probably give myself away. I immediately changed my PIN and set up 2-step verification on the account. I really wish that these folks would spend their time and energy doing good in the world instead of making me waste my time, energy and potentially money on this ridiculousness...