Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

That is a scam. Send it to 7726. 

Suziesunshine
I'm a participant level 2

I got a text message stating a refund from  this ‭#1 (581) 777-4141‬ with a bit.do link to go to banking in. Is this for real or a new scan on the horizon. The number is from Quebec 

Hello @Suziesunshine,

Welcome to the community!

That is definitely a spam text, you can get more info on this subject including how to report it Fido here.

Hey @Suziesunshine!

I moved your post to this thread as it deals with all spam texts Smiley 

Kimberjoy
I'm a participant level 1

I just received a text from 1-604-723-6831 with a request to check out an important message regarding my account and a link in blue www.fido-solutions-mail.ml and when I clicked on it there was a nice message telling me about a refund from Fido Solutions for added fees that had been included on my past invoices.  

Who doesn't want a refund for past invoices?  This was followed by a professional sounding apology and a button to click that said 'Continue'.

This took me to what looked like a legit Interac site, like the one used to pay bills or deposit from an etransfer and they wanted me to click on my banking institution... this is when I woke up... it was the middle of the night and I wasn't sure what kind of added fees were on my account.  

So, I sent a late night messenger question about the phone number and the text i had received.  I knew they were closed but figured I could do a live chat in the morning to verify if this was really on my account.  And of course, it was not.

They asked me to report to the SCAM (7726) number to register it for investigation and also if there was a link, so add it to the email and send to internetabuse@fidomobile.ca with the subject line: Suspicious Text Message Received.  

As well, they included a link to the antifraudcentre for reporting:  

report both the number that sent the text message and the contents of the message to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: By phone: 1 888 495-8501
Online: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerincident/index-eng.htm

I did this and it linked me with RCMP and I completed and submitted a complaint.  

I know it takes time, but if we do this, there is a better chance they will get caught and shut down before they scam people who don't see well, who are too quick to click the buttons and anyone who just gets tempted.  

It was a close call for me and I'm glad I listened to the voice that said I should check it before trying to deposit the refund.  Fido would just apply a refund to my bill, so that made no sense to me.

Avoid phishing and report.  

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Greetings,

Phishing SMS :  +1-902-440-4134 ( Halifax # Mask )

Dont click on any links within the SMS as it contains mailicious code that may steal your info.

IMG_0169.PNG

EricV72

Just received this text from +1 902-440-4134

Info mobile:  nous avons le regret de vous annoncer que votre service sera temporairement suspendu suite à un problème technique. Veuillez cliquer sur le lien le plus tôt possible afin que nous  réglons cela:

http://bit.ly/2ypDtp7

Washington

Fido Solutions: you have been refunded $53.45 due to a overcharge in your account Click here to deposit your money:

***Edited to remove link***

Welcome to the Community @Washington

Please follow these steps if you haven't already deleted the message:

-Forward the SMS to 7726. It will submit the message to be audited and potentially blocked

-Press and hold on the body of the text then pick the option Forward when prompt to.

Hope it helps Smiley

StGenis
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Screenshot (September 19, 2017 4_40 PM).jpg

I received this two text messages a few days ago. Is it fishing?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @StGenis

I moved your post here as it relates to SPAM texts, and those messages are definitely a phishing attempt! 

To learn more about suspicious texts, check out our blog on the topic.

RaggTim

Hello,

I just received this message on my phone, I assume this is a fraud because I have no idea why I would receive a refund.

Otherwise please let me know if the phone number is legit and I missed something with my account Tongue

22092889_10155785529689591_243082399_o.jpg

Hey @RaggTim ,

I moved your post to this thread as it will answer your question!

It's not legit , take a look at the other posts to get more info on how to detect these spam messages Smiley

RaggTim

Thank you! I looked for this kind of thread but I only found old ones, that's why I created a new post. It's better here, indeed Happy I'll have a look.

It's always a pleasure @RaggTim

Hello StGenis,

Thanks for the information! Those messages are most definitely not legitimate. You are correct, those types of messages usually phish for information. You can also report these types of texts by forwarding them to 7726 (SPAM) (see here).

Cheers

Hello @StGenis,

That message is definitely spam. You can report these types of texts by forwarding them to 7726 (SPAM) see here.

Vind

I  and my husband received this morning a text from Fido Mobility 1-514-431-4870,  with a link to provide banking info for an overpayment of $64.59.  I would believe this is a scam?

Hello @Vind,

That is definitely a spam text, you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button.

There is also a thread for reporting these types a spam text here.

Hey @Vind

Just letting you know that I moved your post to this thread since it's about the same thing! Smiley

raminsh

I got this spam this morning:

You received an E-transfer!Click to collect your funds(258,00$):http://bit.do/refund1921

Number is +14389219487