Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

vaibhavpandey
I'm a participant level 1

INTERAC e-TRANSFER FIDO sent you a refund due to a billing error on your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Deposit: http://fido.ca-invoice2.com

Fido Communications

Thanks for sharing @vaibhavpandey!

That's definitely not one of ours, please forward it to the number 7726 (SPAM) to have it audited by our team Smiley

You can read more on that here.

Thanks!

langeler-ml

Text from +1-403-360-7725

"After a billing error Fido Solutions sent you a refund. Please allow 24h until funds become available. Deposit funds immediately: ..." link to etransfer.ga.

I'm assuming this is **, since my bill just loaded today and it looks normal, and I haven't been notified of any changes to my account?

Thanks.

Sam

Hey langeler-ml!

I moved your post here since we already have a thread for reporting these kind of messages. 

You can find the answers you're looking for here. Smiley

Biggy204
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

"INTERAC e-TRANSFER FIDO sent you a refund due to a billing error on your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Deposit: http://fido.ca.communications-sms.com

Fido Communications"

Is what i recieved just a few mins ago fromthis number "+1 (905) 904-2061" I'm pretty sure it's a fraudulent text message especially with that weird web address.

Just informing people, incase anyone else here gets that text message or something simular.

Hey Biggy204! 

Thanks for letting us know!

Just a heads up that we moved your post to our existing thread for reporting these kind of messages. Smiley

Hello @Biggy204,

That is definitely a spam text, you can forward it to Fido so they can try to stop these types of spam. 

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726 (SPAM). You can do this by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. You will not be charge any fees for doing this. 

fdboucher

Just received a phishing text message:

Je viens tout juste de recevoir un texto de phishing sur mon téléphone cellulaire:

"Message de la part de Fido: votre compte en ligne a été bloqué pour des raisons de sécurité. Connectez vous à partir du lien suivant : reactivationservices.com"

Salut Fdboucher,

Bienvenue dans la communauté!

Merci pour l'information!

À bientôt!

Chocobi
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

IMG_0608[1].PNG

here is nother one.

Thanks for flagging it, @Chocobi.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

***UPDATE***

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to flag all of these to us.

Now you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. No additional charges apply for this Smiley

Thanks again for all your help!

J_K_B
I'm a participant level 2

I was told to take a snapshot of the SPAM message, but am not able to send pictures via SMS so cannot forward to 7726 (I've deleted the original message). Is there an email where I can send the picture (for future reference)? The picture DOES include the phone number it came from. When I type in 7726 it automatically changes to 772-6 which is not recognized as a number. 

The SPAM message was received from: +1 (705) 413-0323
It read: "Fido to 604-728-****, here is the funds we ow you for overcharging your previous bills:"  (note spelling errors
Under that was: "Tap to Load Preview" and a link to "securefunds.fund"

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @J_K_B!

Usually we would suggest that you forward the message itself to 7726 (SPAM) by opening the message, pressing and holding the body of the message, then pressing the forward button to send it to 7726.

Since the you received message has already been deleted, and it included a link, you can send your screenshot to internetabuse@fidomobile.ca using the subject line: Suspicious Text Message Received. 

It's important you include the phone number that sent the text message and that you paste your screenshot into the body of the email instead of sending it as an attachment.

We'll take it from there. You won't receive a reply to your email.

J_K_B

I've sent it to the email mentioned - thank-you. Next time I'll forward the actual text (if it comes again) and include the phone number it came from in the text. . . as per the instructions in this Thread.

Thanks, Amanda -

Joy

Hello J_K_B,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information!

For future reference, forwarding the messages to 7726 (SPAM) won't include the number from where the message was sent. That said, most of the SPAM messages (and calls) are sent from spoofed numbers. That is, the numbers shown do not usually belong to the actual senders of the messages. They often belong to innocent unsuspecting people who are unaware their numbers are being spoofed.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Sk71

Fido Solutions sent you an important message. Please follow the link to see your account: www.login-fido.com

I got this tonight

@FidoStephen the only problem with forwarding the message is that it will do just that forward the message and not the number it is coming from, don't you need the number?

Hey @KAPABLE-K

Thank you for pointing this out. We're using this new method to flag these kinds of messages, for the time being it doesn't seem like we'll need more information other than just having the text message forwarded. Smiley 

We'll be sure to keep this thread up to date if there's any changes on this. 

FidoPierre wrote:...We're using this new method to flag these kinds of messages, for the time being it doesn't seem like we'll need more information other than just having the text message forwarded... 

Hello,

Makes sense considering a good proportion of these SMS spam are sent using spoofed numbers...

Cheers

mxmbulat

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.42.32 PM.png

Received this nonsense...