cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

dguard
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

83 REPLIES 83

Minh12
I'm a contributor level 1

I also have this problem. Call many times to Fido but it can not be fixed. I give up.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Minh12! Did you do the update on your box?

Hey @Minh12!

I know it's been a while but I wanted to follow up with you to see if you were able to update your device. 

Let us know! 

Minh12

The problem is unsolved. So i am using zte 720 now

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Minh12!

The software update on the device needs to be done in order to fix this. Have you contacted us in order to do that?

Let us know! If it was done and it still does not work then we'll look at other options. If it wasn't done, we'll send you a PM to do it!

dguard1
I'm a participant level 2

Hi!

Device was updated and it immediately began to behave!  I've been happy ever since.

Very_Happy

That's so great to hear, dguard1!

Thanks for letting us know!

Minh12

Same problem here since 1 year.  There is any 

yriyadh

Just requested fido to cancel my home-line and my cellphone line. From nov to april the homeline was useless for this pin issue and now the price went up to 18/month from 15. In cellphone line 25(100 minutes only) they cannot do anything better for me either although the cell phone cancelation automatically increases home phone line. So technically I was paying 25+15 for 2 useless lines for last 6 months. I just don't feel that after having it for useless reason for last 6 months, this price increase justifies anything. Was expecting better from fido. Cheers everyone. 

Hey @Yriradh!

Oh no we definitely don't want to see you go Sad

I'll send you a PM shortly so we can talk more about this Smiley

yriyadh

Thank you. If you can look into this further for me I would be grateful. 

Yousuf

Doogie87
I'm a contributor level 2

This is so much. It is NOT a small percentage, it is more like everyone who has this device. I have had this and other problems for 7MONTHS. I somehow think that any solution is too expensive for FIDO to deal with.

***Edited for language***

kevinj31

Whenever I use my FHP to call my pharmacy's robot to refill a prescription, I can't.  I follow the prompts, and their system fails to recognize it.  I can use my Fido cell with no issues whatsoever.  I also run into this problem when I call the doctor's office.  It tells me to dial 9 for english, and i do, and their IVR just keeps nattering on in french, AND will not recognize the extension i enter to get to reception to make an appointment.  If i place the call with my fido cell phone it works just fine.

Please fix this Fido, it's driving me nutty!

**Edited title

Hey Kevinj31,

we're aware of this issue and we contact the manufacturer to launch a software update. We'll let everyone know when the fix is implemented. Smiley 

**Edited title

JainONCA

It has been more than six months now and this issue is still not fixed, i'm tempted to switch over to Rogers but realized they are using the same device. And knowing Fido & Rogers is technically the same, I guess the issue also exist with their service. I shall explore this option and will update this post.

We'll update this thread once there's a fix @JainONCA as I mentioned in the other thread.

I understand that delay has been quite lenghty and we're working with ZTE on a fix which should be out shortly! Thanks for the update on your end Smiley .

Doogie87

My big beef with this is that everyone is being misled here. We have all been getting promises of a fix with specific times for when it will be done but it never happens. Also, when you call Fido they play dumb and don't know anything about the problem. They then tell you that a technical support person will call you within 48 hours but that never happens.

I don't know why Fido doesn't take ownership of this, spell out the truth and offer to provide refunds to users and we can all get on with other things, Fido included.

Just my thoughts.

@Doogie87 wrote:

My big beef with this is that everyone is being misled here. We have all been getting promises of a fix with specific times for when it will be done but it never happens. Also, when you call Fido they play dumb and don't know anything about the problem. They then tell you that a technical support person will call you within 48 hours but that never happens.

I don't know why Fido doesn't take ownership of this, spell out the truth and offer to provide refunds to users and we can all get on with other things, Fido included.

Just my thoughts.

Hi @Doogie87

Refunds/Credits are exactly why they will not take ownership, if they do then customers will expect/demand compensation. I would expect some sort of compensation myself after all i'm paying for a service i'm not getting or there is a problem. This is like the Galaxy S6 issue a few month back when they introduce VoLTE and did not test it well enough and then people were missing calls delay text messages and the carrier just put the blame on Samsung.

Doogie87
So any suggestions of where we all go from here? Obviously it can't be fixed easily. I know one user filed a complaint with the regulatory people. Should we be considering a class action suit or something or it that too extreme?

BMAN57

I just went to call in my water meter reading, and I can't believe in this technologically advanced world, the **bleep** thing isn't fixed yet! I had to use my cell phone to enter in the numbers. The moment I can convince Shaw to take me back, without crazy installation fees, I'm done with Fido EVERYTHING. Known problems that were there but the sale associate only told me about them after the fact. I guess the "deal" of $10.00 a month was really too good to be true. By the way, I'm a really nice guy. It takes a lot to tick me off. Fido has ticked me off.