MMS, LTE, and APN problems

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

MMS, LTE, and APN problems

I purchased a new unlocked android phone and transferred my SIM card to it from my old phone to it. The new phone is an upgraded model of the old and supports all the same bands as the old one.  However, I am having problems getting on the LTE network, which my new phone definitely supports.  The APN list is completely different than what it was on my previous phone and I have no idea how to change it.  I can manually select the ltemobile.apn to force 4G, but then I cannot send or receive MMS messages, and the phone switches back to 3G to make phone calls.

Here is what the APN list looked like when my SIM card was in the old phone. Everything worked fine.

Screenshot_20190102-071606.png

Here is what the APN list looks like when I put the SIM card in the new phone:

Screenshot_20190102-072031.png

This is Oreo 8.1 so I can't edit, add, or change any of the APNs.

Now when I had my SIM card in the original phone, it didn't start out looking like the first APN list. It looked like the APN list in the new phone, and I had exactly the same problem. But I don't know when it changed to the new list of APN's or what I did to get it to change.  Is this something that changes on it's own eventually or is there something I can do to speed up the process?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 24
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Re: MMS, LTE, and APN problems

Even if you put all the APN settings your phone is not a fido one and no matter what happen you will not have an IMS registration.

They make it so they still sell their own phone since CRTC removed the Locked carrier things they still lock you out some Features Like Wifi Calling and VoLTE which is standard in 2019

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 24
Highlighted

I don't mind not having VoLTE or WiFi calling, but I hate having a 4G phone and being stuck on the 3G network because of incorrect APN settings that I can't change. FIDO can't help me. The company that made the phone can't help me. Nobody wants to take responsibility. Maybe its time to switch cell providers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 24
Highlighted

I've discovered the problem. The APNs loaded on the phone come from the /system/etc/apns-conf.xml file and are loaded based on the mcc and mnc from the SIM card. The phone manufacturer has loaded an old or incomplete apns-conf.xml file that is missing the MMS field settings in the ltemobile.apn APN. You cannot edit this file without rooting your phone.  While some carriers can push an APN to your phone over the network, FIDO cannot. Or so they tell me. The next step to investigate is why the APN settings are locked on the phone. Is it because the phone manufacturer has locked them in the android software, or is there a setting on the SIM card that locks them. None of the "tricks" found on the internet I've found will unlock the APN settings so far.

So there are a couple of choices to solve the problem:

1) Root the phone if possible and edit the apns-conf.xml to add the correct MMS settings to ltemobile.apn.

2) Go to the phone manufacturer and ask them to provide an updated apns-conf.xml file with the correct settings through an OTA or sideloaded update.

3) Find out why the APN settings are locked and possibly unlock them so you can edit the incorrect APN yourself.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 24
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

@cbsewell As a Fido customer who's been using a OnePlus 6 for a few years now, and who has been having these annoying MMS problems over the past few months, I appreciate your willingness to engage with Fido support on this issue and publicly document your unfortunate journey.

This person seems to have a solution: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81268299&postcount=3 -- if you install a second SIM card in the phone, you are suddenly able to edit APN settings.  I tried this myself with a deactivated European SIM I had laying around, and it didn't work, so perhaps the SIM needs to be active.  I'm still on Android 9.  It looks like his OP 7T shipped with Android 10, so I'd expect his trick to work with any OS version running on the OP 6.  I'll update the thread when I can get a hold of an activated SIM and try it out.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 24