FM radio app blocked?

I'm a Contributor Level 2 dkettle
I'm a Contributor Level 2

FM radio app blocked?

I just read about an FM radio app ("NextRadio") that allows you to listen to radio over a smart phone, provided that the manufacturer and the service provider both allow access. (See https://www.thestar.com/business/tech_news/2017/09/29/apple-urged-to-activate-fm-radio-chips-in-ipho...). So I installed it, but when I tried to use it, it just displayed a message saying that the service provider doesn't allow access to the feature. What is Fido's policy on this?

Here's a web site hosting a petition to the CRTC demanding that manufacturers and service providers unblock this feature. We're being overcharged for cell service in Canada, and we paid for these phones, most of which have this capability built in to them already. Please everybody sign it. http://freeradioonmyphone.ca/

**Edited to add tags and labels**

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 26

Re: FM radio app blocked?

@fischersd Yes, the manufacturer and the service provider both have to turn on the feature. That's the whole point. They won't do that until consumers force them to. I looked at the Rogers, Telus, Bell and Fido websites, the descriptions don't even mention if the capability is turned on because they don't want consumers to use it or even know that it exists. I expect the same applies to the manufacturers' web sites. That's why it needs to be legislated.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 26
I'm a Contributor Level 1 fischersd
I'm a Contributor Level 1

It's not "turning on" the feature.  You have to design the feature into your handset hardware and you have to make changes to your software (OS/Firmware) to support it.

Like I said, you're over-simplifying this.  If you have specific instances where the manufacturer has included the FM radio (and they state that, for the specific SKU that has shipped to the carrier), then that functionality would be available (provided the carrier didn't block it).

Now, why would you think that the carriers would want to block it?  (as, if their customers are using that, then they're not eating up data on their networks....something I'm sure most carriers would actually prefer).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 26

"Now, why would you think that the carriers would want to block it?  (as, if their customers are using that, then they're not eating up data on their networks....something I'm sure most carriers would actually prefer)."

I think you just answered your own question. The service providers make the bulk of their money selling over-priced data plans. They don't want consumers using features that are free.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 26
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 fischersd

Actually, no, they wouldn't.  You using a feature of their phone (but they're still getting your regular subscriber fees) without hitting their network is a win/win for them.

You seem unwilling to acknowledge the fact that inclusion of the chipset doesn't mean the same as having a radio built into the phone.   

To better illulstrate - for years the chipset providers included support for GAN/UMA (now known as Wifi calling or VoWIFI) in their offerings, but the handset makers didn't enable this feature until it became popular to do so. 

It's typical that chipset manufacturers include features early...to give the handset manufacturers the capability to try out features in their research departments long before they put them on the device roadmap.  (and, even then, they may not end up on the roadmap if there is no business reason to do so).  If a feature "dies on the vine" -ie isn't picked up by any of the manufacturers, it would eventually get dropped by the chipset manufacturers as they developed new chipsets.

You can't assume it's just turning something on....if a handset has a feature, you can bet your **bleep** the handset manufacturers want to turn it on and have you use it - it differentiates them from their competition and allows them to sell more handsets.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 26

"Actually, no, they wouldn't.  You using a feature of their phone (but they're still getting your regular subscriber fees) without hitting their network is a win/win for them."

You're joking, right? The more data consumers upload/download, the higher caps they'll need on their data plans, which means MORE money for the service providers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 26
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Chazc7zz

Well that make me wonder why would Samsung have this chip enabled for the rest of the world and disabled for Canadian carriers. This is because these carriers expressed this wish. On the other hand if it is all Samsung and Canadian carriers cared about customer wishes they would insist the radio be enabled. The truth is Fido and the rest want the chip disabled. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 26