cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM radio app blocked?

dkettle
I'm a contributor level 2

I just read about an FM radio app ("NextRadio") that allows you to listen to radio over a smart phone, provided that the manufacturer and the service provider both allow access. (See https://www.thestar.com/business/tech_news/2017/09/29/apple-urged-to-activate-fm-radio-chips-in-ipho...). So I installed it, but when I tried to use it, it just displayed a message saying that the service provider doesn't allow access to the feature. What is Fido's policy on this?

Here's a web site hosting a petition to the CRTC demanding that manufacturers and service providers unblock this feature. We're being overcharged for cell service in Canada, and we paid for these phones, most of which have this capability built in to them already. Please everybody sign it. http://freeradioonmyphone.ca/

**Edited to add tags and labels**

25 REPLIES 25

fischersd
I'm a contributor level 1

Actually, no, they wouldn't.  You using a feature of their phone (but they're still getting your regular subscriber fees) without hitting their network is a win/win for them.

You seem unwilling to acknowledge the fact that inclusion of the chipset doesn't mean the same as having a radio built into the phone.   

To better illulstrate - for years the chipset providers included support for GAN/UMA (now known as Wifi calling or VoWIFI) in their offerings, but the handset makers didn't enable this feature until it became popular to do so. 

It's typical that chipset manufacturers include features early...to give the handset manufacturers the capability to try out features in their research departments long before they put them on the device roadmap.  (and, even then, they may not end up on the roadmap if there is no business reason to do so).  If a feature "dies on the vine" -ie isn't picked up by any of the manufacturers, it would eventually get dropped by the chipset manufacturers as they developed new chipsets.

You can't assume it's just turning something on....if a handset has a feature, you can bet your **bleep** the handset manufacturers want to turn it on and have you use it - it differentiates them from their competition and allows them to sell more handsets.  

dkettle

"Actually, no, they wouldn't.  You using a feature of their phone (but they're still getting your regular subscriber fees) without hitting their network is a win/win for them."

You're joking, right? The more data consumers upload/download, the higher caps they'll need on their data plans, which means MORE money for the service providers.

Chazc7zz

Stop being an apologist I know for a fact the Galaxy A5 2017 has an FM radio. It says right in the specs from Samsung. Yet Fido version has no FM radio and my friends unlocked version has it so why is  that?

Hello Chazc7zz,

Yes, some versions of that phone do have FM radio. However, it is not listed for the Canadian version (SM-A520W). The decision to include the radio would have been made by Samsung Canada, not Fido (or the other mobile providers).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Chazc7zz

Well that make me wonder why would Samsung have this chip enabled for the rest of the world and disabled for Canadian carriers. This is because these carriers expressed this wish. On the other hand if it is all Samsung and Canadian carriers cared about customer wishes they would insist the radio be enabled. The truth is Fido and the rest want the chip disabled.