cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPO phone

YVR1
I'm a participant level 2

I bought a certified pre-owned Huawei P30 Pro.

4 weeks in the power button started to malfunction where a button press would not register.  Brought the phone in to a Fido retail store where they replicated the issue and sent it in for repair under the 1 year warranty for CPO phones.

Futuretel (Fido and Huawei's 3rd party repair center) sent back photos showing that there was water damage in the phone, and that warranty stickers inside the phone were missing.   

Huawei is not honoring the warranty as they say the liquid damage is pre-existing and warranty stickers were missing inside the phone.  Huawei's system is also indicating that the phone warranty was already expired.

Fido Customer Service has me stuck in a loop stating that the 15 day return window is past, and the 1 yr warranty decision is at the discretion of the 3rd party repair center.

This seems like a trap buying a certified pre-owned phone that has been used, refurbished, and won't be addressed by warranty.   What gives Fido?

4 REPLIES 4

FidoSaira

Hey @YVR1

I am sorry to hear about all the difficulties you're having with the phone. It certainly isn't the kind of experience we want any of our customers to have. On our end, we do have a 15 days Satisfaction warranty during which you can exchange or return the device you purchased from us. After that the warranty falls to the phone's manufacturer. That said, rest assured that the CPO device do come with a warranty - Android devices are covered for 12 months. However, the warranty does not cover liquid or physical damages.

We ensure our Certified Pre-owned devices meet Grade A standards. For that, we put the device through functional tests to make sure it is 100% working before reselling it on the market. This would mean that the phone was verified for all sorts of damages as well.

The manufacturer decides how to apply the warranty or if there are any exceptions they can make. Did you contact them directly?

YVR1

Yes I contacted Huawei.  They provided this photo showing that the phone was internally missing warranty stickers - which is understandable given that this is a Fido CPO Phone - so Fido sent me a refurbished phone from an unknown source, and Huawei is denying warranty coverage.

The fact that the water damage was already there and the phone started to malfunction 4 weeks into delivery goes to show that "functional testing" is not sufficient to ensure the quality if the CPO phone.   

The part that is most challenging here, is that i'm caught between 3 parties (Fido, Futuretel, and Huawei) none of which are able to step up and review the scenario and take responsibility for the infomation that I've provided.

I'm really quite surprised that Fido's customer service keeps falling back on re-iterating the same policies without looking at the situation based upon the information being provided.   Where is the human element here?  Any empowerment for front-line customer service staff to do right by a customer?

I get that water damage is not always covered (but was in this case - which is a very interesting read)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/water-resistant-phone-warranty-1.5121096 but since this is a CPO phone my expectation is that Fido recognize that this phone had an issue that manifested itself just 1 week past it's 15 day window, and should be addressed by Fido - not deferred to any other 3rd party.

C'mon Fido - do right please.

869175041984063-4470147-2020-05-05_14-15-53.jpg

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @YVR1

Thanks for providing more information. I'll send you a PM so we can take a look at your account together.

Talk to you soon! 

YVR1

Thank you Julien, replied to your message, thank you for reaching out.