cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Certified Pre-Owned phones

Fawa88
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have been doing a lot of research and reading online testimonies about the Fido CPO program because the phone I want was not in stock anymore except as a CPO (iphone 12 128gb), so I have some questions.  I did read several statements from Fido agents or fido forum agents on this forum that the phones are 30 day returns, and I also read one statement about trade-in devices not being part of the CPO devices.  Can I get some clarification on this?  It doesn't say anywhere on the Fido website about where the devices come from, just that they may have minor cosmetic damages like scratches and scuffs, even for the "like new" devices...which is strange because I'd hardly call that "like new".  

Most of the reviews and comments I've read have been negative, sadly.  It looks like many of the phones sold are more than 2 years used, with degraded battery health and some even damaged beyond repair, according to the statements posted by customers on this website and others.  If you've ever owned an iphone and checked the battery health, it takes more than 30 days to reach below 100% or even 99%.  I've had one for almost 2 years and it's gone through some heavy use with the cameras and the battery is 92%.  I've read some comments where customers received actual "like new" devices with 100% battery health, which confirms that it's a 30 day return, but they were in a very scarce minority.  Is it based on the price of the phone?  I know some CPO devices are very heavily discounted, and some aren't.  Is it possible that a lot of CPO devices are actually trade-ins that have been heavily used, or sourced from some third party vendors?  

4 REPLIES 4

AK1392
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Long story short - do not waste your time on CPO from Fido. 

Went CPO to upgrade my phone last month, recieved a 'Like New' [a term Fido uses quite loosely] iPhone 12 PRO. As you've heard from other reviews, the battery health was degraded.  The 'Like New' phone had 85% battery health, ,y ~4 year old iPhone XR has a battery health of 82%. Fido will fight you tooth and nail that the phones are 'Like New' but they simply cannot test battery health, begging the question how can they call them 'Like New'? 

I called in to exchange the phone for another unit. Same issue - 85% battery health! Had to take the time out of my day to drop two phones off at Puro, only to be back at square one. The fact they push these phones like they are good deals should be investigated IMO. Even worse, they try to charge you more based on 'Like New' and 'Lightly Used status - how much worse the 'Lightly Used' could be is daunting. No way anybody is doing any testing of any sort. 

Fjaf
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Same situation with battery health 90%, and all the help from several support agents were to return phone. This is false advertising unless it mentions the battery health life in their description for certified iphones.

Hey @Fjaf,

Sorry to learn that!

Did you get to review the solution provided by my colleague?

If you still need help, it would be by contacting us through these channels.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Fawa88!

Generally, our Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) devices are open-box phones. That being said, CPO phones can fall into 2 categories. You can also find more details here and in the FAQ section at the bottom of this page:

• Like new - Good as new, phone is in excellent condition 
    • Minimal usage done on the phone, and they have been completely restored
    • They look like new overall, but they might have minor marks or scuffs visible upon close inspection only
  • Lightly used - Good condition 
    • Slightly used phones
    • Might have some visible marks and scuffs, but they are in good condition overall and functions like a new device

What's good to know is that both versions are fully functional. These devices are data wiped, then thoroughly tested by qualified technicians. The latest software version is also installed to ensure you get a fully functional device. However, they may contain third-party parts. Also, as long as the device is functional, you can trade your phone.

You should also note that purchasing the device in store will only give you a grace period of 15 days for our satisfaction warranty, while purchasing the phone from any other channel (online or with an agent over the phone/live chat/social media) will give you a grace period of 30 days. Here's some other key differences when purchasing a CPO device:

• After the satisfaction warranty period is over, your manufacturer warranty will kick in
    • It's only 6 months for Apple devices
    • It's 12 months for Android devices
  • For the same model, a CPO phone will usually give you more savings and be much more affordable
  • Only a charging cable is included in the box

As a side note, we also offer Clearance devices. For this category, it simply means we reduced the price for that specific model to a much lower advertised price. These are brand new devices in their original sealed box, so they’re covered with the original manufacturer 1-year warranty (Apple and Android). A few things to know about phones on clearance:

• When we’re left with limited inventory of some models, we take the opportunity to offer them at discounted price. Meaning that they are available in limited quantities
  • Since limited quantities are available, these devices may not be available in stores (we would suggest ordering them on Fido.ca)
  • This is not a final sale, so the satisfaction warranty still applies for these phones too Smiley
  • These devices come with all standard accessories (the box is still sealed)

Hope this helps!