cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the number you have called is not assigned...

tigermeet
I'm a participant level 2

I placed the Fido mobile number last month and everything has been ok before yesterday. Today when I was making a call to China I received the voice "the number you have called is not assigned, please check the number and try the call again....". But the number is what I have dialed many times and I dialed out directly from my call history. I noticed such similar issues had been posted many times here but mine is a bit particular strange.

1. This issue is only occurred when dialing China landline numbers, there is no problem when calling China mobile phone and the numbers in Canada;

2. There was one out of almost 10 calls I tried could be connected successfully. That means not all the calls would be blocked.

I was really confused by such an inconceivable issue and hope someone with the relevant experience can help me out.

11 REPLIES 11

twohandles
I'm a participant level 1

I also have the same problem tonight.  A few hours ago, I was able to get through to this Chinese number intermittently after restarting my phone.  Now, restarting does not work either.  I'm calling the same number in China over and over but most of the time, it is "not assigned."  This is a very general customer service number in China and my phone is fine.

Hey @twohandles and @oliviama1,

Was this resolved, are you able to place calls by now?

oliviama1
I'm a contributor level 1

Also, FIDO's customer service wasn't very helpful. I kept trying many times yesterday, but it didn't work. Therefore,  I contacted FIDO customer service in the daytime, but the representative told me the only thing she could do was issue a ticket to the technical department. She also told me that I would not be notified by FIDO later whether this issue could be solved. Besides, Even if the problem is not solved, my ticket will be closed after a few days. That's ridiculous!

oliviama1

Thank God this problem was solved today. I kept trying many times yesterday, but it didn't work. I would still like to know what caused the failure to connect to landlines in China and whether such a problem will pop up again in the future. I need to have call meetings with my colleagues in China at late night. If such a problem happens irregularly, it will be very troublesome.

oliviama1

I have the same problem tonight. Would you please tell me how did you solve this problem? I have to have some call meetings with my colleagues in Beijing at midnight, if such problems occur frequently, that's terrible. Thank you!

mahengrui1

Do u know for China the area code is 2digits ?

e.g.

Beijing 010 (wrong)

Beijing 10 (right)

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @tigermeet ,

Welcome to the Community!

It is in fact a really special situation. Here's some questions for you regarding this :

1. Are you using a third-party application to place the calls?
  2. Did you make any recent changes to your line or account?
  3. You mentioned the situation happening with landline numbers, so you called other China landlines and it was the same situation? 
  4. Are you able to receive calls from the landline number in question?

Let us know Smiley

On a side note, a call from Canada to China must start with : 011 + 86 + the area code and and phone number.

oliviama1

I have the same problem tonight on Nov. 22, 2021, totally the same situation as @tigermeet. What's wrong with FIDO in the evening?  I have to have some call meetings with my colleagues in Beijing at midnight, if such problems occur frequently, that's terrible. 

tigermeet

Thank you for your attention Charles,

• I made the outgoing calls through direct dialing by starting as 011+86+ or +86+, both of them didn’t work;
  • I haven’t made any changes or any reset on my phone;
  • Yes I tried several China landlines and got the same situation, but several China mobile phones are all ok;
  • No one called me via China landlines so I have no idea about that.

Later last night when I was trying again, the voice disappeared, replaced by 3 beeps of DU DU DU, but the call was still unable to connect.

Early this morning, I tried again, the issue vanished! I dialed 2 China landlines and both connected successfully without any trouble. I really have no experience to share with, and can only regard it as “network issue” :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Happy to hear it works now @tigermeet!

Since your outgoing calls to other numbers / countries were working it may have been a glitch with the Chinese carrier.

Let us know if it happens again Smiley 

tigermeet

I mean I tried the same number for around 10 times and there would be 1 connected successfully.