cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data limit

chuckxie
I'm a participant level 2

can fido automatically stop my data when i reach the monthly limit? and send me a message that give me the opition to choose whether to extend my data usage or not?

17 REPLIES 17

Kluciano95
Hi! My data was put on hold because I went over $50. I would like to resume my data but don't know how to

Hi @Kluciano95!

I answered your other post. Smiley

JTREM

I am very frustrated that with today's technology that FIDO can't put a limit on usage. To simply send a text when the individual is at 95% usage is unacceptable. I am seriously thinking of changing providers when my plan expires.

Hey @JTREM !

Welcome to the Community! We'd hate to see you go because of this Sad 

Your usage is tracked per Data Session. Depending on how much you used during a session and how much data you have left, you may not be notified for 90%. More info here.

For this reason, we provide our customers with mutilple tools they can use to keep track of their data usage Smiley (Fido.ca, *3337 & My Fido Account app) Keep in mind that you can always top up as long as you haven't reached 100% of your data usage by texting DATA to 222! 

If you'd like us to look into a plan to better suit your usage, let me know and I'll send you a PM!

JTREM

Thanks for your reply. 

Unfortunately I don't think you understand my concern. The data usage notice needs to be sent alot earlier then at 90% or simply halt further data usage. Notify the customer that they are about to go over with an option to purchase more data. What you are doing is looking for another way to gouge a customer, thus leaving us no choice but to move to a competitor that can give us this choice.

PEREZJRU
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Good day,

I have the some problem with my 2 mobiles with FIDO, I am very worried why FIDO can not stop when the user alreday reach the 4 G, I just arrived to Canada 2 months ago from other country, they could stop when I reach my plan 2 G in tha case.

Please advise how I can stop manually in my Iphone?

I hope FID

Hey @PEREZJRU

Hey there Smiley Did everything work out on your end? Let the Community know !!

Hey @PEREZJRU

Welcome to the Community and to Canada!

We hear you on this, but as mentioned we offer many tools to monitor data usage so you can stop using it when you like.

To disable your Mobile Data on your iPhone you :

1. Launch the Settings app from your Home Screen
  2. Tap Cellular
  3. Tap the switch next to Cellular Data

Hope this helps Smiley

My bad @JTREM

You mentioned that getting a notification at 95% wasn't sufficient so I wanted to make sure you know that you always have access to your usage Smiley 

I completely understand where you're coming from and I'll make sure to pass this along for you. 

In the meantime, note that we do block usage once $50 in data overusage charges is reached ($50 here in Canada, $100 when roaming). You can block data at a specific limit directly from your phone through the settings or through a third party app if you have an Apple Device.

Let me know if I missed anything! 

JTREM

Can you please let me know what third party app on Apple?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We don't have any specific ones but we do offer our own tools that you can use to track usage (Fido.ca, the Fido app, SMS alerts, and dialing *3337 from your device). You should be able to find some by doing a quick search online though or maybe someone here on the @Community has some suggestions Smiley

Krog29

As a user of Telus, Fido and Bell for mobile (across our family) Fido is the worst with regards to this.  We are continually "over" on my daughter's account because Fido has no options to either cap data at a pre-set limit before overages (as Bell does) or send SMS warnings of 50, 75, 90% data uses as Telus does.  Why don't you have this?  If your competitors do, why don't you?

Hello Krog29,

What plan does your daughter have? If she has a plan which does not have Data Tracker, then she will not receive warnings about going over her allotted data limit. 

If she does have a plan which is compatible with Data Tracker, she should note that the text message alert is sent only after the data session has finished. This means she will not receive any notification while she is still connected to the internet. If she exceeds any of those limits in a single session, the notifications will still be sent only after she finishes the session.

Data Tracker a feature of some of the newer plans -- same as Data Bytes, Spotify, Fido Roam, and Data Top-ups are features only available to some newer plans. I believe the notifications were introduced to allow customers to purchase Data Top-ups before their usual allotments ran out. Since those of us with older plans cannot avail of Data Top-ups, the only text message we will receive is once we have reached the maximum in overage charges ($50 or $100 in roaming data overage charges) -- with the option to continue using overage data (as per the Wireless Code).

If she does not currently have, and would like to receive the Data Tracker notifications, she can change her plan to a current plan which includes the service.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey chuckxie!

Welcome to the Community!

We don't block you from using data, we offer you tools so you are able to track your data at anytime. 

You can use our website, Fido.ca, our App Fido My account, even call the 611 from your phone. 

If you reach 50$ of overusage, we will block your data and inform you that you've reached 50$ of over usage.

You'll then have the choice to resume and keep using your data or wait until your next billing cycle. 

Hope this helps Smiley 

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Hi Chuckxie, 

If you are using an Android phone, you can goto Settings -> Mobile Data -> enable "Data Limitation", set the cycle according your fido billing cycle and set the data amount that you want to limit. 

Once all set, your phone will give firstly a warning when your data usage reached the "warning line" and you phone will stop the data usage when your data usage reached the "limit line".  

AlamyLiu

Using the "Data Limitation" under Settings -> Mobile Data is a 99% but not 100% guarantee that you won't go over the limit.

The application has already prompted you that it's NOT 100% accurate because it's calculating on your Device side, but Fido (and all carriers) charges you on the calculation on Server side.

Theoratically, data is 1:1 (how much bit/byte you send/receive, is how much server received/sent). But only both sides (Device and Server) calculate on the same basis, you could guarantee the "Data Limitation" would guard your data usage safely.

Hint: there are 7 layers in the network protocol.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

That being said, I've had 4 Android phones so far (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X), and all of them slightly over-estimated data compared to Fido. So when they cut off because the limit is reached, I actually had a few MB still available (less than 5MB), so I never worry about busting my limit.

I think the difference is that the phones calculate all data, including MMS, while Fido doesn't count MMS. But that's just a guess.