Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatically registered to Nomade without my consent

julien79
I'm a participant level 3

hi,

i've been in Tokyo for a few months and I never use my Fido phone. However, I noticed that i've been automatically registered to "Nomade" without my consent. I got an SMS message saying "Allo, ici Fido : Bienvenue à destination! ...". And my bill increased by 12$/month, without my consent!

Please opt me out immediately and reimburse me the previous "Nomade" months. 

Thanks

Julien

10 REPLIES 10

Liz18
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I was travelling recently to europe,  I was not using the phone other than for taking pictures and contacting relatives upon my return to Canada at the arport. I understant I did receive text message from Fido informing that the Nomad service was offered. However I did not read the message nor did I consent to the service . Upon my return I was made aware that I was charged a 15$ per day , I was gone 10 days.   I contacted support and after a go around, and numerous attemps, I finally talked to someone who said sorry, can't remove the charges because we did send you a text message.  When did FIDO asked me if I accepted to being charged 15$ per day during my travel?  NEVER.  I was  told i should have put the phone on plane mode?   So if I access free WIFI in public places , am I being charged for that?   I told the represwentant, that I will change service provider because I totally desagree with these implied consent ... I am filing a complaint with the CRTC and changing service provider . 

Hey @Liz18 !

Rest assured that the last thing we want is surprises on your bill. 

Most Fido customers with an eligible postpaid wireless plan are now automatically enrolled in Fido Roam. We're very transparent about this and we send you an SMS to let you know about how you'll be charged when you leave Canada.

Any usage while roaming would incur a charge on your bill even without the Fido Roam feature and this would apply with most Canadian carriers. 

I'll send you a PM so we can have a closer look into this with you!

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @julien79

Welcome to the Community!

Fido Nomade or Fido Roam is our roaming option offered to all of our lines. Smiley

You do get notified when you are out of the country but it doesn't kick in unless services are used on a network out of Canada. 

So if you see a $12 fee it means that services were used while roaming. You can definitely contact us so we have a look with you

Note that it's possible to deactivate/activate the Fido Roam by contacting us directly also

julien79

Hi,

Last March, when I used my Fido phone while still outside of Canada, the fee was $3/min, without the Nomade service being automatically added. 

I never contacted you during those past months, so how come I was only charged $3/min in March, and $12 for Nomade this time? Did your policy change during the past few months?

Best,

Julien

Hello Julien79,

Welcome to the community!

Fido made Fido Roam available to non-Pulse plans roughly a month ago (see here). Customers were sent emails as well as text messages notifying us of the change. I understand when Travel packs were still available, using services without purchasing a Travel pack would have been on a pay-per-use basis. However, with the introduction of Fido Roam to non-Pulse plans, the service is automatically available without the need of contacting Fido.

If you wish, you can still travel on a pay-per-use basis. However, you would have to contact Fido to opt-out of Fido Roam.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

julien79

Hi,

contacting Fido always takes at least 30min. Since I travel a lot, I don't want to have to contact Fido each time to opt-out of Fido Roam.

Is it possible to opt-out of Fido Roam for good?

Best

Julien

Hey @julien79,

You wouldn't need to opt-out each time, but rather only once, then you would have the option to re-enroll in the program if you wanted to.

A few things to keep in mind if you opt out:

• You’ll only have pay-per-use rates available. 

• You can check your status and re-enroll to Fido Roam rates at any time by texting Roam to 222.

This being said, is there a reason why you want to opt out?

If you take your device abroad, you’re only charged for the days you actually use your phone.  If you don’t use it to make or receive a call, send a text or use data while travelling, you'll never be charged. Just don't forget to turn your Data Roaming OFF if you don't want to use internet while abroad and to avoid the daily fee.

If you'd like to go ahead with the opt out, you can reach out here or we can send you a PM on the Community.

Let us know Smiley

julien79

This being said, is there a reason why you want to opt out?

When I travel I only use my phone for 1 min or less --> $3 is cheaper than $12.

Thanks,

Julien

Thank you for clarifying this for us @julien79

In this case I'll send you a PM so we can check this out together. Smiley 

Fido Roam was previously offered on pulse plans only @julien79. If you had a non-pulse plan, you would either have been billed pay per use or had the option to buy a travel pack.

The good news is that we now offer Fido Roam on all our postpaid plans in over 125+ destinations Smiley

You can learn more about it here.