Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling worked & stopped working

andre88224
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I am using an ulocked iphone. I just swithched to Fido yesterday from Rogers, and I gave my IMEI to the rep. I successflly activated Wifi Calling, and it worked for a couple of hours. Then it was turned off some how, and when I tried to turn it back on, it says to allow this account use wifi calling, please contact Fido.

I chated with support, she helped me reset my network setting on her end, and I did on my iphone too. Right now, it pops up a websit, similar layout as the one that let you fill out the first time when you try to active it. But it says unable to process your request.

Anyone can help please?

66 REPLIES 66

MikeB1
I'm a participant level 1

Crazy that this is still an issue in 2023.   Pure greed by Fido..   i may have to leave as well... chatted with support and the refused to even look at it.   Very unhelpful.

Janeethan
I'm a participant level 2

Recently i Switched from Rogers to Fido. I bought iPhone 11 Pro Max from Apple Store. When i try to activate wifi calling it says to allow this account use wifi calling, please contact Fido. I talked with 3 Support Person. They reset my network setting on their end, and I did on my iphone too. still problem couldn't activate. someone said i have to buy phone from Fido in order to activate this i feel this is unfair. Fido bought from Apple too. please white list my imei number i can do activate my wifi calling. someone please fix this for me

Hey @Janeethan! Philippe here. Welcome to the community. Smiley

If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t guarantee that the feature will work properly (see here). That said, we'll be happy to review what was done to get this working for you, if you wish.

Just request a PM from the community for that.

Sailpower

Hi I am new to Fido and not having an easy time getting started. First it was billing overcharging and now the WiFi calling doesn't work.

i too have an iPhone 12  i bought from Apple and when i turned on WiFi calling it initially worked then stopped and i got a message that the request was in process.

then i called a tech and they turned it on and it worked for a bit then turned off again.

i rely on WiFi calling as i work in remote areas with no cell service.

i don't believe this statement that Fido can't guarantee WiFi calling will work if it's not a Fido phone. It should not make a difference from a technical sense if the phone is an iPhone and up to date.

can i get some help with this so it turns on and stays on?

LitlLdy

@Sailpower wrote:

Hi I am new to Fido and not having an easy time getting started. First it was billing overcharging and now the WiFi calling doesn't work.

i too have an iPhone 12  i bought from Apple and when i turned on WiFi calling it initially worked then stopped and i got a message that the request was in process.

then i called a tech and they turned it on and it worked for a bit then turned off again.

i rely on WiFi calling as i work in remote areas with no cell service.

i don't believe this statement that Fido can't guarantee WiFi calling will work if it's not a Fido phone. It should not make a difference from a technical sense if the phone is an iPhone and up to date.

can i get some help with this so it turns on and stays on?

@Sailpower , I just started new service with Fido today. I had to contact them to get the Wi-Fi Calling activated on my account from their end & after they were done it took half an hour to start working on my end to allow me to set it up on my iPhone. I made sure my phone was set to LTE with VoLTE toggled on. I reset my network settings, rebooted & tried again. I was finally able to toggle on the Wi-Fi Calling switch, fill in my 911 address & good go but for extra measure I rebooted my iPhone after doing that.

Edit: I purchased my iPhone 14 Pro from Apple directly.

Hi @Sailpower ,sorry to hear that wifi calling is giving you trouble. If you have had success with turning it on a couple of times, is it possible that there is a setting on your phone that needs to be adjusted? Something like wifi calling preferred or equivalent? Is there an option to request assistance from apple for guidance? I'm not an iPhone user so I am not savvy on the settings for using Wi-Fi calling. On my android I just turned on Wi-Fi calling in my phone settings and was then asked to input my street address for 911 calls. 

Wickkedd
I'm a contributor level 1

It is quite evident that Fido intentionally blocks wifi calling and VoLTE on phones that were not purchased by them. Their agents say that these phones are not "guaranteed" to work, which leaves some interpretation that thay "MAY" work...however, they seem intentionally blocked. Here's my example:

Have a note 9 from Rogers. VoLTE and wifi calling work. I then use my samsung-purchased note 9, which has the SAME software as a fido phone, has the FMC (Fido) CSC and firmware, and I pop in my fido sim. Immediately, VoLTE and Wifi calling start to work!! This means the phone fully supports these features. However, after about 15 minutes, my IMS status goes back to not registered, and the features stop to work. This is purely intentional, just because my device IMEI is detected as a non-fido device. 

Some people here have had success by posting on here, and someone from tech support manually adding the IMEI of the device into the whitelist database. I am hoping someone from Fido can make this right. This was the reason I left Fido in the past, and I may want to leave again. It is clear that when I put my SIM in a fido device, then take out my sim and put it in my samsung-purchased device, the feature works for a while, which clearly suggests the device is more than capable of using these features, but is then intentionally blocked once the IMEI gets detected. 

Hey Wickkedd, 

We moved your post here since it's an ongoing thread Smiley

I'll send you a PM and have a closer look at this with you. We'll try some troubleshooting and see if we can help!

Talk to you soon!

iCutWaffles

I an having the same issue and an about to leave Fido for good with my wife. Crazy that in 2023 it still is an issue. We joined her phone three months ago and it worked fine until this weekend. Fido customer service has been useless in fixing the issue so you are the last hope. Please whitelist my IMEI 

Hello @iCutWaffles,

Sorry to hear you've encoutered issues lately.

Please feel free to reach out using the methods shown here and we'll be happy to take a look.

iCutWaffles

I have already made a ticket 

C194052556 is my number

Wickkedd

@FidoThomas wrote:

Hey Wickkedd, 

We moved your post here since it's an ongoing thread Smiley

I'll send you a PM and have a closer look at this with you. We'll try some troubleshooting and see if we can help!

Talk to you soon!

Thanks Thomas, responded to your PM a while ago and waiting to hear back. I'm hoping you can help.

Hey there @Wickkedd

We've replied to your PM and will continue with you there!

khunt18

hi sad I am also facing the same issue fido wifi calling not working in Samsung device.

Hey @khunt18,

please get in touch with our customer care team here so we can review this further! 

SAA2

I have teh same issue I tried to buy the phone from Fido but there Price was higher than Samsung when I bought it I called them and they said the phone will be the same

Two days I called they said to me it will be the same which mean I have to pay more than full price to get Fido software installed in the phone

Can anybody please advise if this part can be filled to CRTC as it seems that is not fair they force us to buy from Fido in higher price with fido software and it is consider unlocked phone if we buy from anotehr supplier than Fido not offer the service we pay for it everymonth

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @SAA2

We're sorry to learn you're having trouble using the service. 

We always try to make sure all of our customers can make the best of our services but there are some services we can only guarantee on Fido phones. 

WiFi calling is not a service we guarantee and as such it is not listed as a feature in all plans. This is in accordance with the CRTC's regulation. 

That being said, we'd love to take a look at your account to troubleshoot with you and see if we can help. 

I'll be sending you a PM in just a moment. Chat soon Smiley 

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

same thing happened to me,

get new sim card again (in your case), get fido people to check your apn settings etc..

then have them to confirm and turn-on your wifi calling and VoLTE as well. (you have to be post-paid customer).

good luck

Hey @Segzy

I'm sad to see you feel this way. Our features and services are optimized to work with Fido certified phones but we cannot guarantee it to work at 100% on non-Fido devices. 

We would hate to see you go. I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. 

modelcitizen

Totally having the same experience. awful. I had just spent 2 hours on phone calls with Fido to sort this out. But the answer is very disappointing. I have been with Fido since the beginning and my S7 Edge had work just fine on wifi calling and even after siwtched to S9 plus it worked fine for couple of months until recently all of a sudden the wifi calling stopped working. We all know that the service providers are now obligate to unlock their phones if customer requires. And Rogers/Fido are currently the only two provider using such an unconvincing excuse to block their clients from good services. I hope they hear and make changes rather than keep making things more complicated. Maybe it is time to port out.