cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail Text Notification

gcrmt
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

This is something that I've always been puzzled about. Been with Fido for nearly 12years now and I still find it odd that when a voicemail is left Fido sends out a text message (18) to the cell phone rather than having the cell phone activate the voicemail icon built into the phone. What's the reasoning behind this?

59 REPLIES 59

SueM1
I'm a contributor level 1

When I switched to Fido from Rogers I hated those text notifications. Rogers always had a red dot on VM indicator for new VM. Much better. Now Fido has a red dot too indicating new VM. I have an IPhone.  

adko
I'm a participant level 1

I too have an issue with voicemail notifications.  I used to get notified in my text so I know I had a voicemail, but lately, I don't get anything. And now I don't get notified if someone left me a message.   Today I got a call I could not pick up. A few hours later the same call and someone asked me if I got a voicemail? I said no, as I never got any notification. I am using the same phone iPhone 12 pro, and same settings. All was working fine before. 

Hey @adko,

Concerning your situation, we would suggest contacting us here to get it looked into.

taeshim
I'm a participant level 3

Hi, since maybe a month or 2 ago, I do not receive the text message notification when I receive a new voicemail. How can I fix tis? Fido has already done a reset or something like that when I called... Also, not sure why even the manager is not aware about mini voicemail having notifications sent by text... Sad Everyone I speak to argues that is not offered by fido... That I should call apple about not receiving the text message notification... I'm so confused. Could you please help me?  

Hello @taeshim

To confirm with you, you were getting those notifications on your phone before today?

Also, when did you stop receiving those notifications exactly? 

Let us know. 

taeshim

Hi, I'm not sure exactly when it stopped because I just assumed that I wasn't getting any voicemails, but then I felt it was too long since I got my last voicemail and checked after a missed call, which is when I noticed I had a new message and did not get the text notification. And yes, I used to receive text notifications. 

@taeshim

Hey Smiley We received your PM about this. Talk to you soon. 

SueM1

So, there are 6 pages of customer dissatisfaction about the lack of VM indicator and aside from an up sell Fido still won’t give a VM indicator.  I don’t know what the problem is because all other providers have this. Without having to subscribe to a pricey visual VM that I don’t need or want. I just want the red dot back that I had with both Telus and Rogers. How hard can that be to provide?

dasbooter
I'm a participant level 2

Ditto on this. Essential phone and I get a text instead of the message notification that takes me right to my voice mail. Every other carrier I have had the last two being Bell and Rogers provided a proper notification instead of a text. This is annoying enough that when I have the time I will start shopping around for a new provider.

Hey @dasbooter Welcome to the Community and congrats on your first post. 

The only available option at this time is the text message notification, you would need to press and hold 1 on your keypad to call your voicemail once you receive the notification. 

With that being said, we'd be most sorry to see you go. Don't hesitate to reach out here so we can have a look at your options. 

dasbooter

This is the standard reply and it is unacceptable. This issue goes back longer than a year and replying the exact same way is both dismissive and poor customer service. To top it off you try to upsell me which is laughable because.... I'll repeat for everybody here that every other provider I have been with has their MOST BASIC voicemail system set up to provide space for three emails and notify you with the appropriate Android voicemail notification which u can touch to go directly to your messages. Fido CANNOT OR WILL NOT implement the Same.

If you have found your way here from Google because you have the Same issue feel free to voice your displeasure .When I call to cancel when I find a good competing deal I'll be sure to let the customer service rep know why.

EFTEE

I too have issue with voicemail notification.  I used to get notified in my text so I know I had a voicemail, but lately I don't get anything. So the voicemail gets full (by message mostly from telemarketers that I didn't answer their call), because I don't get notified and there is no more room for important messages from work or family member.  I HAVE TO check my voice mail often the delete those unwanted calls/voice messages from telemarkters so others can leave me a voice mail. I called Fido and they didn't help at all!  

A while back a family member said they could not leave a voice mail for me because the box was full, however when I checked my voicemail, it said no more messages. Then I contacted Fido and they said they will fix it (by reseting/somthing) from then on I don't get any notification.  

I am thinking because of this issue I should leave Fido and go to other providers.

@dasbooter

We do appreciate your feedback and we will make sure to forward it to the team in charge.

Right now, this is how our voicemail works. However, we are always looking to improve our service based on what the customer needs.

We definitely don't want to see you go. Hopefully, you can change your mind on this.

playbak01

Hi All,

I joined community to request a fix to this as well... Recently I switched from Telus. Whenever I missed a call and received a voicemail, I'd always get the red dot/node over green phone app and voicemail icon within. (Always on latest iOS, currently have an iPhone 😎

Note: With Fido a node pops up for missed calls, but not for the voicemail.

This is extremely problematic as I'll see the voicemail text message but maybe can't get to it right away, then I'll get other texts that push that message down and I forget about the voicemail completely! It's happened to me several times already.

Having the red node showing until the voicemail is listened to is a much better solution and a constant reminder that you have a message waiting in your voicemail.

Receiving a text message as additional notification would be fine. But not having the red nodes makes the text messages almost useless. I'm in Ontario and Telus had it working without issue I found, so I don't see why Fido/Rogers couldn't do the same... and reading all the technical responses in this post didn't really convince me otherwise.

Really hoping this gets implemented sooner rather than later. Many thanks!

a2younis

I also have the same problem, ever since I switched to Fido a few months back.

I have an Essential phone running Android (8.1). I never had this problem before while on Chatr with this same phone. Also never had this problem with Chatr/Mobilicity or Rogers with many other phones.

I have tried support twice (once via chat, once via phone) and they did not know how to fix it. They didn't seem to even have heard of this as a problem.

Can one of the Fido employees in this thread please PM me as well so I can get this fixed?

Thanks.

Hey a2younis! 

Welcome to the Community. 

Sadly, this is not something that we can change.

You will receive a text message to let you know when you have a new voicemail, unless you have the iPhone with the Visual Voicemail feature.

You can check out the solution above for more info!

a2younis

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm new to this forum and don't know how it works exactly. When you say to check the solution above, I guess you mean the post by FidoNick?

In it, he says:

"It's not a visual voicemail so the little indicator for a voicemail will not pop up as you need to call in and listen to the messages."

I do not expect/want support for Visual Voicemail. In the past (with Chatr & Rogers) I never had Visual Voicemail, but still, I had a notification instead of a text message. I think you already know that's what I mean, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page, as it seems different from FidoNick's response.

Further, he says I could pay to add Visual Voicemail, which of course I don't want, since I have no iPhone. But is he also saying that if I did get that $5 package (on the phone they told me it's $7), that the notification would work instead of the text message?

Hey @a2younis,

The solution can be found here.

a2younis

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Yes, that link you sent is the post I was referring to in my last post.

But, unless there is something I am not undestanding...our usage of the term "solution" differs.

To be clear, are you saying that

1. The post that you linked by FidoNick actually shows a solution on how to make it work so that I see the standard "cassette tape" notification instead of the text message? If so, can you be specific (is it the $5 upgrade, because from my understanding, he doesnt actually say that).

Or

2. Are you referring to the "solution" as in it's an "answer", and the answer is that it is not possible?

And it seems I'm not the only one confused. There are several replies after FidoNick's reply in June 2017, where other members of this forum seem to not understand how to make it work right (or if it is even possible).

Thanks.

In this case the solution is the answer to the question, but in other cases it can be steps detailing how to do something. 

Here's how the voicemail works depends on the phone: 

• If you have a mini voicemail, you'll receive a SMS letting you know about the message. 
  • If you have an iPhone and a Visual Voicemail, you'll see a red dot on your phone icon. 
  • If you have an Android with a Premium Vocemail, you'll receive a transcript of the voicemail by text message (sent as an MMS).

Let us know which phone and voicemail you have!