cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablet data only plan does not come with free incoming text message?

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

Tablet data  only plan does not come with Free Incoming Text message?

today I talked with CSR on phone for bill issue and he told me that data only plan not come with Free incoming text message.  

fido charging me extra for my data only plan . i have 1 line but on bill fido charging me for 3 line for aug bill and 2 time for jun bill

21 REPLIES 21

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Bhupi,

As far as I am aware, there should generally be no charge for incoming text messages -- even for the data-only plans. There is no way to prevent people from sending text messages to your device so it's not really fair to get charged for receiving them.

I said generally because if you subscribed to a text message service, there would be a charge for receiving those messages. The charge would not be for receiving the messages per se, but rather for the service itself.

What charges are you seeing on your bill?

Bhupi wrote:...i have 1 line but on bill fido charging me for 3 line for aug bill and 2 time for jun bill... 

Also, could you please clarify what you mean by that statement?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey Bhupi!

Cawtau is right, we do not charge for incoming text messages. 

Have you downloaded your full detailed bill from My Account? Could you provide us more details about what the charges are listed as being for on your bill?

Let us know!

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

Thank you for info. i dont know why CSR on phone said me that i can not get text message with Data only plan., i talked wit phone support and chat both said no its not come with text message  it is only for data. I am unable to get text message on my data only line.

about additional charge: when i chage my data only line phone number  fido charge me full month bill for old number and new number. that issue was address via fido chat and they will give me credit back.

Hello again,

I'm glad you were able to get your additional charges sorted out.

@Bhupi wrote:

...i talked wit phone support and chat both said no its not come with text message  it is only for data. I am unable to get text message on my data only line...

The data-only plans do not include any call minutes or SMS/MMS. However, since the SIM has a phone number associated with it, they are capable of making/receiving calls and sending/receiving text messages.

The rates are $1 per minute for calls and Long Distance (LD) at 45¢ per minute within Canada (see here).

Sending SMS costs 25¢ per message sent from Canada to a Canadian wireless number or 45¢ per message sent from Canada to a US or international wireless carrier (see here). You will not incur any extra charges when you receive text messages.

Sending MMS to a Canadian wireless customer costs 50¢, while to a US or International wireless customer cost 75¢ (see here). Again, you will not incur any extra charges when receiving MMS while in Canada. Note however, roaming data charges would apply when outside of Canada.

What text message(s) are you unable to receive? Are they verification text messages or messages from other phones/devices? Have you tried to send yourself a message from a different device? Have you tried to send a message from the device? I understand there is an additional charge for sending SMS/MMS from the device, but it may help troubleshoot your issue.

Since you recently changed phone numbers, have you verified the phone number on your device? You should be able to do so under the device's Status.

Have you verified there are no blocks placed on your account?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cchoi
I'm a participant level 2

does this apply to new plans now?

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @cchoi

This doesn't apply to newer plans anymore, the incoming and outgoing text message features are simply not supported with the new plans.

You can learn more on this thread.

Hope this helps!

cchoi

Thanks for the info. It is very unfortunate as one of key reasons for me to get this plan was that whatsapp would work for communications purposes. 

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

yes all good but unable to received any text message from other phone number and verification code from goog, whatsapp, facebook etc.

Hello again,

What device are you using? Have you tried the SIM in a different phone/device? Are you having the same issue everywhere? Are you able to use data at your location? To what network is your device connected (LTE, UMTS, GSM)? If it's connected to LTE, have you tried to disable LTE?

If you're using a phone, are you using its messaging app or a different one?

Do you also have another phone with Fido? If you do, are you able to make/receive calls and/or send/receive SMS/MMS with that phone at your location?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

i tried SIM with my LG tablet and Samsung S4. unable to receive text message on both device

Hello again,

Have you verified the SMS message centre or short message service centre (SMSC) number is correct? It should be +1-514-993-1123. You should be able to do so under your messaging app's settings.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Bhupi

Did you request to have outgoing and incoming calls blocked? If this feature is activated it prevents you from receiving or sending text messages.

Let me know!

ki_lime

@FidoRanya wrote:

Hey @Bhupi

Did you request to have outgoing and incoming calls blocked? If this feature is activated it prevents you from receiving or sending text messages.

Let me know!

How do request incoming/outgoing call blocking? Is there a fee? 

Android phones have a call barring feature but the password/pin doesn't seem to available from Fido.  Can this be requested? How?

Hey @ki_lime

This would be a restriction that needs to be added by the customer service.

Your can reach us through our channels here.

We can also send you a PM here on the Community.

Let me know what's best for you.

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

yes

That explains it. Let us know if you want to remove it.

Thanks.

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

yes plz remove it. i need incoming text.

thank you

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Bhupi

A PM is on its way. Smiley

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

still not able to get text message.

FidoNick
Former Moderator