cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Calls

Wayner
I'm a participant level 1

Got my new phone 2 days ago. Suddenly the scam calls started.

Seems strange they ALL come from a Rogers/Fido registered number.

What's going on there...

7 REPLIES 7

Ishmum

Hello,

For the past few days i have been getting a lot of scam calls. So today I got a call from this number, +1-587-737-0210, today. It claimed to be the Fido voicemail service. 

Can anyone confirm that this number is actually from Fido?

I do not have my voicemail setup.

Thank You. 

Hello @Ishhmum

I moved your post to this thread since it's about the same topic.

You will find your answer on Cawtau's post Smiley

SaiN
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Every day I end up receiving at least 2 scam calls.

Most phone calls are checking if my line is active or not and then disconnecting the calls.

Later end up with two to three messages a day to click fake banking links.

I am trying to do my best to manage these threats but please make a database and block all scam calls upfront.

Hey @SaiN 

I moved your post to this thread since it's about the same topic

You will find the solution on Cawtau's post Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Wayner,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls. I understand the calls might appear to be from Fido/Rogers customers, however, they are likely nefarious actors spoofing Fido or Rogers customers' numbers. It's called neighbour spoofing (see here).

I understand it might be concerning if the calls appear to target Fido or Rogers customers because of the neighbour spoofing. However, it's actually not that difficult for spammers/scammers to direct those calls to a particular provider. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain area code and prefix combinations are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc (see here). All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). They'll likely change the message or script depending on the area code/prefix combination. There have been instances where people who have ported their phone numbers to other providers still receive SPAM directed at their original providers.

Unfortunately, if they are spammers/scammers rather than actual telemarketers, they are unlikely to uphold any do not call lists.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM. In addition, there are circumstances in which the protocol might not work (see here). In addition, there are circumstances in which the protocol might not work (see here). As far as I am aware, only certain devices currently benefit from the protocol.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Richardliu228

Why I received many scam/fraud calls as Fido user? Who leaked my info? How Fido can protect privacy? Any internal holes/moles for those scammers?

Hey there @Richardliu228

Welcome to the Community Smiley

To get most of your questions answered about scam call, I moved your post to this thread so you can view the solution.

Hope this helps!