Robocalls

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 DennisSanders
I'm a Participant Level 2

Robocalls

Robocall blocking is now being offered in the USA.  When will FIDO offer it in Canada?

Accepted Solution

Re: Robocalls

Hey @DennisSanders,

We received some more information on this. 

You may be referring to last week’s FCC ruling, which would apply to U.S. carriers only.

The CRTC introduced a separate ruling in December, which will require Canadian carriers to block malformed numbers. We’re committed to continuing to work with the CRTC and industry partners to combat unwanted calls and have plans to implement a solution. 

Stay tuned! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5

Hey @ DennisSanders

Welcome abord the Community!

We know how annoying these calls can be, and we’re very sorry for the inconvenience. We use sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect you from spammers, however as these calls often originate from random numbers they are hard to prevent. 

As for your question, we will get back to you when we have information regarding that.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Solution

Hey @DennisSanders,

We received some more information on this. 

You may be referring to last week’s FCC ruling, which would apply to U.S. carriers only.

The CRTC introduced a separate ruling in December, which will require Canadian carriers to block malformed numbers. We’re committed to continuing to work with the CRTC and industry partners to combat unwanted calls and have plans to implement a solution. 

Stay tuned! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 DennisSanders
I'm a Participant Level 2

If they ruled it down in the States,  that means it must be technically possible to block robocalls. 

Why wait for a ruling up here in Canada? Why not protect your customers now?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
MVP
MVP

Hello DennisSanders,

Welcome to the community!

@DennisSanders wrote:...Robocall blocking is now being offered in the USA...

The ruling was that carriers are now allowed to automatically block SPAM robocalls. That does not mean it is currently possible for them to do so. The US carriers have until the end of the year to implement the technology (see here and here)

Both the FCC and the CRTC rulings refer to STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephony Identity Revisited)/(Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs) technology. According to the CRTC, authentication and verification of caller ID information for Internet Protocol (IP) voice calls should be implemented by Canadian telecommunications service providers (TSPs) by no later than 31 March 2019 (see here), though I am not aware of the progress of the implementation.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5