Roaming charges

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Roaming charges

Got dinged with charges for few hours in US despite turning off cellular and roaming

called Fido. Was advised the only way to guarantee no roaming charges is to remove the SIM card before crossing the border.   Even airplane mode is not sufficient.   Who knew.    I learn quickly when I’m hit in the pocketbook.     Beware!!!!

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming charges

Hey @Michellered,

Welcome on the Community!

There is no charge if you do not use your Fido services abroad regardless of the sim being in your phone or airplane mode. To clarify, you are only billed Fido roam when you make a usage via your phone (make calls, answer calls, send texts, use data, retrieve voicemails etc.). It's also important to keep data roaming off.

We don't want our customers to have any surprise on their bill and this is why we make sure to send you a text notification when you are connected to a tower. It's also possible to opt-out of Fido Roam by contacting customer service.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Solution

Hey @Michellered,

Welcome on the Community!

There is no charge if you do not use your Fido services abroad regardless of the sim being in your phone or airplane mode. To clarify, you are only billed Fido roam when you make a usage via your phone (make calls, answer calls, send texts, use data, retrieve voicemails etc.). It's also important to keep data roaming off.

We don't want our customers to have any surprise on their bill and this is why we make sure to send you a text notification when you are connected to a tower. It's also possible to opt-out of Fido Roam by contacting customer service.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

So if I want to use my phone to communicate using wifi,.  Bottom line is I’d like to be able to communicate with friends I’m shopping with while in the u s,   But only if necessary if we lose each other in the mall.  Do I turn off cellular and data roaming, leave on wifi,  and then can I iMessage or do I need to email.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Michellered,

Your best option would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. That setting should prevent your phone from connecting to the networks. You can then manually enable Wifi when required. With Wifi enabled, you should be able to send/receive iMessages or use email if you wish.

There may have been instances where usage occurred when Airplane mode was enabled. However, I'm not certain whether the usage occurred while Airplane mode was enabled or before. With many of those instances, Airplane or Flight mode was enabled after they arrived or entered their destination Country. As far as I am aware, there was no follow-up as to whether the usage occurred before they had a chance to enable the setting or after.

If the phones truly connected to the networks when Airplane or Flight mode was enabled, that is an issue which needs to be addressed by the phone manufacturers. The devices would not be functioning as designed.

For an added measure, you might also consider disabling data and roaming data.

You should also be aware that if your phone is capable of Wifi-calling, certain usage will count as roaming even though you are connected via Wifi.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4