cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

Michellered
I'm a participant level 2

Got dinged with charges for few hours in US despite turning off cellular and roaming

called Fido. Was advised the only way to guarantee no roaming charges is to remove the SIM card before crossing the border.   Even airplane mode is not sufficient.   Who knew.    I learn quickly when I’m hit in the pocketbook.     Beware!!!!

12 REPLIES 12

murph0824

I agree with you. I just looked at my bill after being in Costa Rica for 8 days and realized that I have over $140 in extra charges. My gf also had $70 in extra charges on her bill using a different provider. Both of us had cellular turned off throughout the duration of our trip. Use airplane mode when on plane. I did recieve the notifications in regards to the Fido Roam but it isnt clear enough to know whether you actual are using it or it is an option. 

It turns out that our plans include Fido Roam and when you are travelling, you will be notified of the rate, and you will automattically be charged the rate for each day you are away. You actually need to call Fido to say "I want to opt out of Fido Roam". Where does it say that in the notification we recieve?

dennisgmiller
I'm a contributor level 1

CRTC  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey @dennisgmiller, @murph0824,

That's definitely not the type of experience we want for our customers. We'll be happy to take a look at your account with you.

You can reach out to us through any of our customer service channels to get started!  

Alternatively, we can also send you a PM through the Community.

Let us know what works best for you.😀

dennisgmiller

I participate in a lot of discussion groups and send PM's etc. but this orum is beyond me.  I see no way to PM.  Acct 7XXXXXXX4  Roaming with no intent to roam.  And this is disconcerting as it was in a tablet sitting in a car while we drove to california.  I may have attempted use in a hotel on wifi and got roaming notification.  $10 for no service for a day,  Roaming with another plan I have is $25 for the month and another is $15 for 10 days. $10 a day!!!1  Yikes!!

murph0824

I do recall at one time a customer had to ask to have the fido roam option added. I was fully under that impression this time and when I recieved the notification, just thought it was notifying it was available, not automatic.

The notification should give an option to "opt out" or say " Fido roaming is in effect and appropriate rates will be applied". It seems like I am not the only person with this issue.

As much as I am surprised at the extra costs on my bill, I know Fido isn't the only carrier doing this. My gf just talked to her provider as she has the same issue while we travelled together. 

I will talk to customer service tmrw to see what can be done. I am a long time Fido customer and love the service, but this is something that needs attention. As a customer I should have the option to choose what I add on or opt out of services. Roaming is already confusing enough. Smiley

dennisgmiller

Catch not crucial!!!!

donbox5

can you really opt out ??  the customer service agent is refusing to disable the service for me.

the only solution that will work would be to take out the sim when abroad and 

once back just move to another service provider.

I have replied to your other post.

You can call in to opt-out of Fido Roam. However, please know that when you do that, any usage that is detected while you're roaming will be billed on pay-per-use rates and they can accumulate quite quickly.

You can reach out to us through these channels if you have any other questions.

Michellered

So if I want to use my phone to communicate using wifi,.  Bottom line is I’d like to be able to communicate with friends I’m shopping with while in the u s,   But only if necessary if we lose each other in the mall.  Do I turn off cellular and data roaming, leave on wifi,  and then can I iMessage or do I need to email.  

Hello Michellered,

Your best option would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. That setting should prevent your phone from connecting to the networks. You can then manually enable Wifi when required. With Wifi enabled, you should be able to send/receive iMessages or use email if you wish.

There may have been instances where usage occurred when Airplane mode was enabled. However, I'm not certain whether the usage occurred while Airplane mode was enabled or before. With many of those instances, Airplane or Flight mode was enabled after they arrived or entered their destination Country. As far as I am aware, there was no follow-up as to whether the usage occurred before they had a chance to enable the setting or after.

If the phones truly connected to the networks when Airplane or Flight mode was enabled, that is an issue which needs to be addressed by the phone manufacturers. The devices would not be functioning as designed.

For an added measure, you might also consider disabling data and roaming data.

You should also be aware that if your phone is capable of Wifi-calling, certain usage will count as roaming even though you are connected via Wifi.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSaira

Hey @Michellered,

Welcome on the Community!

There is no charge if you do not use your Fido services abroad regardless of the sim being in your phone or airplane mode. To clarify, you are only billed Fido roam when you make a usage via your phone (make calls, answer calls, send texts, use data, retrieve voicemails etc.). It's also important to keep data roaming off.

We don't want our customers to have any surprise on their bill and this is why we make sure to send you a text notification when you are connected to a tower. It's also possible to opt-out of Fido Roam by contacting customer service.

dennisgmiller

Well I got a $10 surprise even though connected with wifi. Fido/Roger's is ripping me off.  Telus warned me and no charges unless I opt in.  You guys are using the must opt out  scam so I guess the crucial should rule on this Aldo.