Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Not Working in Guatemala

TravelWriter
I'm a participant level 2

Hello!

I'm currently in Guatemala and my Fido SIM doesn't want to connect to a local network. 

I'm using a Samsung J7 Prime dual-sim unlocked phone.

I have been able to roam in Guatemala in the past (on an old 'dumb' phone). 

I've scanned networks and I see three: 

TIGO

CLARO

MOVISTAR

When I try to connect automatically, I get a notification that I can't connect to TIGO. If I try manually, neither CLARO nor MOVISTAR allow that operation. And TIGO responds with 'registering' and then times out.

Do I need a special APN?

Note that I've tried to connect in all different modes including 2G (preferred!).

Thanks for your help!

Doug

6 REPLIES 6

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @TravelWriter

Welcome to Community Smiley

Thanks a ton for the details! You should be able to connect to the network with your Fido SIM card in Guatemala, this destination is covered by FidoRoam. Your device is also compatible with the majority of the frequencies used by the providers over there.

Are you currently using 2 SIM cards in your phone, or only the Fido SIM card is inserted?

TravelWriter

Thanks! 

I've tried with one and both SIMs inserted. The phone allows me to switch off either SIM as well. 

Normally, when travelling, I leave the Fido SIM in one slot and a local SIM (in this case Tigo) in the other.

I use Tigo for local data and calling. And Fido to receive calls. I'm sure it worked previously.

Could it be because I switched from a monthly plan to PAYG?

Hello TravelWriter,

Welcome to the community!

It's usually possible to roam normally with a prepaid plan. However, it is possible you're having these issues because you switched from a monthly plan to a prepaid plan. You should note that receiving calls using your Fido SIM would cost $3.50 per minute (see here).

Guatemala.jpg

~taken from link above.

Have you verified your account has sufficient funds to make the call? You might also consider contacting customer service to see if there are any roaming blocks on your account. Alternatively, you might consider sending a moderator (MOD beside their username) a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account details.

Have you previously travelled to Guatemala using that phone? Since the phone is using two SIMs, you might consider verifying the APN for the Fido SIM is still correct. You can verify those settings here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @TravelWriter!

Were you able to figure this out? Let us know Smiley

TravelWriter

Still not working. It was referred to support by a Twitter rep. Was told it would be resolved in 24 hours. Days later: no change. 

Hey @TravelWriter

I understand the importance of being able to use your phone outside of the country. 

To take a look at the account, we would need to send you a PM. 

Talk to you soon!