cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which network will be used while roaming in Turkey

anwarshatil
I'm a participant level 2

Hello folks, I will be travelling to Turkey for coupe of weeks and would like to use Fido Roam. I was wondering what network would it be using in Turkey (Turkcell, Vodafone or Türk Telekom) and what data speed would I be getting there?

Cheers!

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Anwarshatil,

Welcome to the community!

I do not know on which provider your device would roam in Turkey. However, have you verified your phone has the proper bands/frequencies to operate on their networks? You can verify the bands/frequencies here and here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hi there, when I was in Turkey, I roamed on Turkcell. I didn't have any issues. I was using a BlackBerry at the time. 4 yrs ago. Hope that answered the question. Have fun, I loved Turkey

Thanks @Cawtau and @Original_Lucy for your contributions🙂

Hey @anwarshatil

Unfortunately there's no way for us to know which network you'll be getting while abroad, but you should have access to more than 650 operator networks worldwide. For the availability of the foreign networks and their speed, it would depend on the device you have and the speed they offer themselves.

If the area is covered by more than one operator, your phone will connect to the first network detected. Your phone might not automatically recognize international networks. If that's the case, you can perform a manual network search on your phone. For assistance, consult your user guide.

All Fido phones and devices are compatible with network frequencies in the U.S. For other countries, as suggested by Cawtau, verify the coverage availability and the network frequencies of your destination to make sure that your phone will work.

Hope it helps! 

anwarshatil

Thank you all. It is funny that Fido does not have imformtaion on their roaming partners. Then how do they maintain contract with them? Anyways, I guess I will have to dig down more. I want to make sure if I will get LTE speed as I might need to do some office work there.

Hello again,

It's likely they have roaming agreements with multiple providers in a given Country.

You should note that LTE (usually referred to as 4G outside of North America), might not have the same speeds in different countries. For example, in this report, the average 4G speed in Canada is 32.90 Mbps while the average 4G speeds in Turkey are 22.78 Mbps (see here). They are respectably in the middle of the pack.

That said, this travel blogger's post provides the 4G coverage maps for the mobile providers in Turkey. I haven't been able to get the Open Signal maps on my computer anymore.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers