Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges

whitney99
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello,

I'm traveling to France. I switched my phone to the airplane mode before leaving Toronto.  Upon arriving in Paris, I opened my phone to use the Internet. Suddenly, I received an SMS saying "Welcome abroad! You've got a Fido Roaming....". It says the daily fee is $12. I'm unclear if this is an automatic charge even I don't actually use my Fido account during my trip?

(I bought a local SIM card right at the airport and am using it for my trip. I don't have a plan to use my Fido number while away from Canada). 

6 REPLIES 6

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello @whitney99,

We wish you safe travels during your adventure. 

France is indeed a destination we cover with Fido Roam and you can find more information about the feature here.

The charge is daily and applies whenever your SIM card is roaming, with that said since you will not be using your Fido SIM card while in Europe, you will not be charged further besides the first day when you turned off airplane mode. With that said, we'd need to review your invoice once it's out to see when that occurred. 

Of course, if there's anything out of place on your next invoice, please contact us here and a representative will be happy to assist you further. 

Hope this helps. Bon voyage! Smiley 

whitney99

Hello,

The incoming SMS sent by FIDO was totally unexpected. I planned to buy a local SIM card so I don't need any roaming services. 

I also read several discussion topics and learned that the incoming SMS is not counted for roaming. Now, are you saying that I still need to pay $12 for the first day I turned on my phone and received that unexpected SMS?

Is it the way that FIDO is charging everyone for the service that they do not plan to use and do not actually use it?

Blueevy123
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Yes, that is true. I got charge of $200 for not having a SERVICE. So, please be aware of this company and their scamy services.

Hello Blueevy123,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges.

@Blueevy123 wrote:

Yes, that is true....

However, that is not true. As noted in the solution below, the fee is charged when you use Fido services abroad. I was recently able to confirm that merely receiving the Welcome messages does not incur roaming charges (see here).

I understand you might not have intended on using Fido services. However, if you incurred roaming charges, your device would have used services. From your other post here, it appears your roaming data was enabled. It's likely those charges was for your device using data to update its systems and/or apps. 

Have you had a chance to view the billing details to see what services were used? You can do so via My Account --> Billing & Payments. From there, you can Save and/or Print a PDF copy of your bill. Alternatively, you should also be able to view the details online under Other charges and credits (see here). 

In order to prevent roaming charges, it is usually recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, it should be noted that disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice or text messaging. It would also be recommended to keep Airplane or Flight modes enabled for the duration of trips. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services.

I also understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider arranging a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations team. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement might not be available in all situations.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello Whitney99,

Welcome to the community!

Just to clarify, receiving that initial Welcome to Fido Roam text does not necesarily mean that you have already been charged for the service. The fee for Fido Roam is charged when you use your Fido services. That is, when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad with your Fido SIM (see here). You are correct in thinking that incoming SMS messages do not incur the charge (note that receiving MMS would incur the charge because it includes data).

That said, it is possible that your phone used some data before you had a chance to switch your SIM, if you hadn't disabled data roaming and data. Many apps may synchronise in the background. I understand you had enabled Airplane or Flight mode prior to leaving Toronto. However, that setting must have been disabled when you re-opened your phone in Paris. Your phone shouldn't have been able to receive that SMS if Airplane mode was still enabled.

If your phone did not use any data, then you would not have been incurred the Fido Roam charge, even though you received the Welcoming SMS. On the other hand, if your phone did use data prior to switching SIMs, then you would likely have been charged the fee.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

whitney99

Hello Cawtau,

Thank you for your clear information.