Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal questions

Aznmyth
I'm a contributor level 1

Good morning,

My wife is up for renewal.

I am receiving conflicting information regarding getting a new phone.

When I renewed my plan, I did not pay anything upfront and my plan stayed the same.

I am looking at the pricing now, and as I understand it, we can still keep the same plan (medium) but we now have to pay the devided cost of the new phone over the new contract terms.

If this is correct, this is extremely disappointing.   My wife has been using fido for 5+ years, and I have been using fido 12+ years.  

I would to know how we can reduce our costs in terms of getting a new phone.  I also wanted to ask if anyone has purchased a pixel 4 under this new arrangement.  We were really looking forward to that phone, and was curious on the breakdown per month.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Aznmyth,

As mentioned above, you should note that Fido has now switched from their subidised plans to a financed payment program for new devices. That is, the cost of devices is now separate from the cost of services. Your wife's old plan (Medium) is a subsidised plan. Is your wife (or you) trying to upgrade her device online? Some of the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model. However, trying to upgrade with a subsidised plan, the system might not provide accurate information. If that is the case, she would need to switch to a new plan in order to finance a new phone. On the other hand, she would be able to keep her current plan if she purchased her new phone outright.

That said, I do not see any Pixel devices listed on Fido.ca. Are you sure those devices are still available from Fido?

With regards to the breakdown per month in general, the costs are broken down on website. For example,

Financing.jpg

~taken from Fido.ca (July 12, 2020).

For the iPhone SE, the upfront cost is $0 and the monthly cost is $25.62 per month (in addition to plan costs) for 24 months. Similarly for the Galaxy S10, the upfront cost is $180 and the monthly cost is $33.33 per month (in addition to plan costs; after bill credit) for 24 months. If Fido did offer the Pixel 4, the cost breakdown would be similarly presented.

If you would like to discuss whether her current plan is compatible with the new financing model, she would need to contact customer service as they would need access to her account. Alternatively, she might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access her account.

**edit** I do understand that many long-time customers would appreciate loyalty gestures. However, loyalty discounts on devices aren't generally available. That's because the cost of devices is out of the mobile providers' control. They are set out by manufacturer and/or their supplier(s). There is very little margin on devices to allow for such gestures. They sell and finance devices out of convenience for their customers. It is not their main business. That said, mobile providers can sometimes offer loyalty discounts or credits on the services they provide. Those are costs they can control.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Aznmyth,

With the rising cost of phones, and customers complaining and expecting their bill to be reduced at the end of the term Fido is no longer subsidizing phones with the plans and has since opted for a device financing option.

You can learn more about it here.

Aznmyth

Again, very disappointed that this is the direction has turned towards.

Are there not any promotions or discounts that long time customers can apply for the purchase of the new device?

If this is really the new way moving forward, there had to be some considerations for the people that have used and supported Fido throughout the years.